Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008

sgkuhner is on a distinguished road
Whenever, we are sailing wing and wing down wind, I ALWAYS use a preventer. It is a four part bock and tackle rigged from the end of my boom to a pad eye just aft of the aft lower shrouds. Actually, I have two preventers rigged, on for each side so that when I want to jybe, I mearly jybe the sail then ease off on the then windward preventer as I take up on the new leward one. Thus the boom eases over from one side to the other. However; when I am sailing down wind in the trades etc for a longer period of time, say over 12 hrs, I will pole out two jibs, one on either side and then the windvane will steer the boat without me having to worrry at all about a jybe.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jeff-

Just curious as to why you think a boom brake is useless in a high-wind accidental jibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Regarding Post 20 and some of the responses: I have to agree that a boombrake is of little use in a high wind accidental jibe. IMHO Preventers should be single-part, and stretchy line (nylon) run from the end of the boom to the bow and then back to the cockpit. The purpose of the stretchy line is to absorb shock and should be rigged to be quickly and easily eased from the cockpit to allow the boom to swing over comparatively gently.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2008

chessysailor is on a distinguished road
1. When sailing at night, my standing orders are that a preventer will be rigged when the wind is abaft the beam.

2. A couple of months of ago while sailing around the Spanish Virgin Islands in 20 kts of wind, the helmsman performed a less that perfect jibe - i.e. the sail had been pull in half way when the boom went over. The resulting force was enough to rip the mainsail nearly in two. Granted that the sail was junk, but it brought home how hard an accidental jibe is on the equipment.
Old 04-09-2008

frisbee_ten is on a distinguished road
Don't forget accidental tack!

My near miss came when I asked my wife to hold the boat into the wind so I could take the mainsail down on my 26 footer. Since she is sail challenged, I simply told her to point the boat at a certain landmark. Unfortunately, the wind changed direction and the boom swung sharply--luckily only grazed my cheek. I shudder to think what would have happened if the boom had been one inch closer.
Old 04-13-2008

captainchetco is on a distinguished road
jkliegman has a right Idea! Her's another one.
On my Gulfstar 41', I run a continous line with a snap shackle at each end from the end boom area to a cleat foreward and back to the end boom area on the other side. It merely runs through the base of the bow cleat, and is not made fast.
The snap shackle on the lee is attached to the end of the boom, and the upwind end of the line is made fast to a cleat at the cockpit. The line holds the end of the boom, not the middle and runs clear to the bow. To make a controlled gybe, unsnap the starting leward, pass the boom across under control, and snap on the new leward side; make fast the now upwind side. Its fast and done without leaving the helm. Keeps the boom from booming on your head.

By the way, used to have a chandlery in Brookings OR. Every year, at least one boat would come in with a buckled boom from using the vang as a preventer. Out on the real ocean, where winds are strong and seas kicking the stern around, you need to have an end boom preventer, or a big checkbook for boom replacement.