Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How did you get your start in sailing!
No formal instruction, just bought a boat and went for it 140 33.10%
No formal instruction, grew up sailing with family/friends 104 24.59%
No formal instruction, sailed with friends/family as an adult 54 12.77%
Formal instruction, US Sailing 22 5.20%
Formal instruction, ASA 55 13.00%
Military service lead to sailing 19 4.49%
Just crewed around randomly 8 1.89%
The boom hit my head on an accidental gybe, I can't remember 9 2.13%
Got in through racing for the most part 12 2.84%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get your start in sailing?

I never had any interest in sailing. All that heeling and zig-zagging just to hit a spot straight ahead seemed very odd for someone who grew up with power boats and canoes. So there was this guy (isn't there always?); a friend from Texas, who was buying a sailboat in my area near Annapolis. I helped him crew it down to Florida in which we motored a lot. After years spent pouring diesel into twin 350 hp engines (back when diesel was cheap), that 1/2 gph that we burned on the sailboat really caught my attention. The fact that you could run out of fuel and still get the boat where you wanted it to go, was a complete revelation. When I started crewing on other boats, I said I'd never race. "Sailboat racing" was such an oxymoron. Now I'm in San Francisco Bay and can't get enough of it. On the Chesapeake, I used to say I'd never sail in more than 20 knots of wind. Now I'm grinning from ear to ear when we get a 30-knot "puff." Funny how opportunities and an open mind can change one's perspective.
Razcar likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I never had any interest in sailing. All that heeling and zig-zagging just to hit a spot straight ahead seemed very odd for someone who grew up with power boats and canoes. So there was this guy (isn't there always?); a friend from Texas, who was buying a sailboat in my area near Annapolis. I helped him crew it down to Florida in which we motored a lot. After years spent pouring diesel into twin 350 hp engines (back when diesel was cheap), that 1/2 gph that we burned on the sailboat really caught my attention. The fact that you could run out of fuel and still get the boat where you wanted it to go, was a complete revelation. When I started crewing on other boats, I said I'd never race. "Sailboat racing" was such an oxymoron. Now I'm in San Francisco Bay and can't get enough of it. On the Chesapeake, I used to say I'd never sail in more than 20 knots of wind. Now I'm grinning from ear to ear when we get a 30-knot "puff." Funny how opportunities and an open mind can change one's perspective.
This is a great story of transformation. Thanks for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I had to select "no formal instruction, sailing with family & friends" because it was the closest fit, but my history is strangely not on the list even though it is likely one of the most common introductions to sailing. What about some informal instruction from summer camp counselors? When I was a kid attending Pine Crest summer camp in Ft. Lauderdale we sailed little prams in the cove at the west bank of the new Las Olas Bridge. The old bridge in the fifties left much more room for sailing. Many people learned to sail in summer camps without a national organized instructional program.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 07-08-2013

Rossignols is on a distinguished road

Started rather late in life, but better late than never. Have not been sailing very long, but started with an ASA basic sailing class, then joined a local club where there are many opportunities to crew. Now I canít get enough of it, just wish I was able to retire and do it full time.
Old 07-08-2013
Just A Member

Dick6969 is on a distinguished road

Started around the age of 10 or 11. My dad had a 22' open wooden sailboat. We sank it for a few weeks be for we started using it for the season. Then a few different little boats. Had a 27' for 13 years. Got a Pearson 323 April 2013. The last two were the only boats with motors. Thanks DAD. I take him sailing now he is 90. We will be going to the Islands next year...
Old 07-20-2013

XDLaser is on a distinguished road

A great way to start is just to go ask around at your local beach, yacht club, got my first hull for free someone was literally about to take it to the dump, sailed it for a good 10 years then got more serious
Old 07-23-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

I actually started sailing through the CSTA Tall Ship Training Program on a boat out of Kingston, Ontario. I went through the officer's program and went on the be watch officer/XO for 2 different ships. Spent 5 whole summers sailing throughout the Great Lakes.

After I started university I had to satisfy myself with a job onshore and occasional day sails on my 16' Bombardier Invitation.

I hadn't sailed a large boat for 10 years when friends asked if we could charter a boat in Kingston. We went for it and my husband has the cruising bug badly. We're going to pursue our cruising level and see if we can't charter some more!