Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How did you get your start in sailing!
No formal instruction, just bought a boat and went for it 140 33.10%
No formal instruction, grew up sailing with family/friends 104 24.59%
No formal instruction, sailed with friends/family as an adult 54 12.77%
Formal instruction, US Sailing 22 5.20%
Formal instruction, ASA 55 13.00%
Military service lead to sailing 19 4.49%
Just crewed around randomly 8 1.89%
The boom hit my head on an accidental gybe, I can't remember 9 2.13%
Got in through racing for the most part 12 2.84%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008

Stryker72 is on a distinguished road
A friend took me out on his brothers Pearson 26 about 9 years ago for a quick sail on Lake Michigan, I loved it. Last year I decided it was time to sail on my own and bought an old Butterfly from a co-worker, read a book and then sailed. It was great, I joined a community sailing center and took a class towards the end of the summer. This year I bought a 14' O'day javelin to add to my little fleet and will introduce my family to the joys of sailing.

as an aside, I intend to give my two year old son the opportunity I didn't have and get him sailing as soon as it is practical.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I never set foot on a boat before then. A friend bought a racing sailboat (Mirage 35, I beleive) and I went out sailing one day. And that was it for me. It was over 10 years ago. I bought my first sailboat - Beneteau 235, shortly thereafter, but steadily moved to cruising boats since (turns out I like working on them).

I did take ASA courses and probably still have my book with little stamps somewhere out there.
Old 04-25-2008

Insails is on a distinguished road
I started as a job with perks Worked on a 70ft Schooner with three others for 2 years as the owner wanted to "own his dream" She was traditionally rigged..Sailed the Gulf of Mexico,the Atlantic from the Islands to Newfoundland. Have always lived near the sea became a certified diver at age 14...
Old 05-04-2008
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Had a kitchen design-remodel company in Colorado, wife's colleague had Catalina 24 & asked if I could relaminate the galley countertop. It was such a small job I was almost embarassed to charge for it. Having grown up in Kansas, I knew nothing about sailboats, so asked the colleague if instead of $$ he could take us out sailing for an afternoon ... HOOKED instantly!
Old 05-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
at age 50, I had never sailed before after moving from Central Europe to Portugal, in fact I had never seen the sea before..and knew nothing about sailing..

So I came to sailnet, posted a really stupid question like what boat to buy with $45 US dolars, that was blue water and capable of liveaboard and go to Somalia...

I then got lot of good answers on what boat to buy...a Valiant built in 1325, with roller furler, mast winches, closed cockpit (no sugar scoops), and 10 anchors, all on chain...ahh the hull is 45 inches thick...a good thing....and off course, the all practical sailing quality improving wood decoration both inside and outside...bow sprit in wood optional...

I jumped in, and set sail, as I was recommneded by someone here...
Old 05-04-2008

SantaSailor is on a distinguished road
I was involved with power boats and canoes at a young age but no sails.
While in the military I got a 4 day pass with my crew and they dragged me onto a 22 ft catalina. I didn't think much of it but since they brought the beer and 2 of them didn't drink, (even had designated drivers back then) I went along. Once we killed the outboard, I was impressed. One of the crew was a licenced captain and he saw my interest and just started teaching me how to do it... Over the rest of my tour we tried to get in some sailing when ever we got a couple of days off. That lead to my buying a 30 ft S2 after selling my house in a divorce and have been living on it since. So I'm not sure if that is formal training or just going for it with friends...
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Old 05-06-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
at age 50, I had never sailed before after moving from Central Europe to Portugal, in fact I had never seen the sea before..and knew nothing about sailing..

So I came to sailnet, posted a really stupid question like what boat to buy with $45 US dolars, that was blue water and capable of liveaboard and go to Somalia...

I then got lot of good answers on what boat to buy...a Valiant built in 1325, with roller furler, mast winches, closed cockpit (no sugar scoops), and 10 anchors, all on chain...ahh the hull is 45 inches thick...a good thing....and off course, the all practical sailing quality improving wood decoration both inside and outside...bow sprit in wood optional...

I jumped in, and set sail, as I was recommneded by someone here...
Is that the boat you sold before you got the one you have now?
Old 05-18-2008

locrian13 is on a distinguished road
My (now) hubby and I had been dating about a month when the following conversation took place (I knew he sailed/raced and had previously owned a power boat):

me: Are you ever going to buy a boat again?
him: No. Too much money/hassle/work/time.

The next day...

him: Guess what?
me: Uh oh. Um...what?
him: Moon and I are buying a boat.
me: I thought you said you were never buying another boat again.
him: Well, yeah, but we had a few drinks last night, and...
me: Say no more.

A week later the boat is in the water. Mind you, I am AFRAID OF THE WATER. Well, maybe 'afraid' isn't the right word. I just have NO desire to be anywhere in or near it. Especially if there's no chlorine involved and I can't touch the bottom, let alone see it.

him: Hop on.
me: Ha. Right. No hopping.

So he builds a little ladder thingy to facilitate said hopping (this was before the piers were lowered).

Off we go for my first sail. I didn't fall in. I didn't throw up. Thought about it. Didn't.

I spent that first summer being mildly sick to my stomach, but, being the trooper that I am, stuck with it. Then I figured since the boat would outlast me if I didn't figure out how to get along with her, I decided it was high time for me to learn how to make it go. And stop. From a practical standpoint, if anything should happen to The Man while we were out sailing, I was going to have to get myself home, so the lessons commenced.

Fast forward 8 years. We've sold our half of that boat, bought a bigger boat, and now we might be thinking about a different boat. Maybe. I don't want to jinx it.

But that's how it started. And, thanks to his encouragement and that of others, I am now a reasonably competent sailor who can dock her own boat. I have accepted that I will never understand it the way other people (notably the engineers that The Man races with) do, but I do just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
I was looking for a lil trim on a Saturday night. i couldn't get any takers so i decided to rent some companionship for the evening being in Vegas it's usually an easy task. i goggled "trim for sale". but misspelled sail...and here i am today. financially broke with a sailboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-19-2008

BenthosCritter is on a distinguished road
None of the above. I took a Red Cross course at Lake Merritt in Oakland when I was 11 years old.