Advice for first time on ocean - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 04-18-2008
Courtney the Dancer

It sounds like you have researched the bar crossing so with good weather that should not be a problem (I've never crossed the Columbia bar so you know more than I do). When checking the ocean conditions you are right to be looking not only at the height of the swell but the period as well. With a 12' swell at 20 seconds it's no prob. If you have a 12' swell at 8 seconds it's a whole new ball game. Pick a day with winds not above 15K and a nice long swell, you'll have a great time and not get scared off. If neither of you knows if you get seasick take preventive measures before you go just in case. Have fun!

John

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 04-19-2008

I was reading this thread thinking, "big deal, what's this Columbia Bar, a sand bar? whoopededoo" then I looked it up...

"Since 1792, approximately 2,000 large ships have sunk in and around the Columbia Bar."

lol, crazy, and this bit "Approximately 16 bar pilots, earning about $180,000/year, guide ships across the bar, often approaching the ships by helicopter."

So, serious stuff then?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-19-2008
moderate?

Check out the Bar Photos here:
Rough Weather on the Bar

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #14 of 18 Old 04-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Check out the Bar Photos here:
Rough Weather on the Bar
There was no RV or Sailboat in that depiction...didya get that new better than CD's grill setup I ordered yet... poor guy after seeing that will never venture past the damn...

-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #15 of 18 Old 04-20-2008

Pity its the Columbia River, going out to sea is so all-or-nothing. Better to start with would be somewhere like the
Juan de Fuca Straight, where the transition is more gradual.

On a calm day it would be easy, but you wouldn't learn much. Another time, you might give yourself, and more
important possibly, your girlfriend a nasty scare that might put her off the whole thing.

Chris Gee is right, could you go out to take a look first, crewing for a more experienced boater in the area, preferably
on a not-so-calm day? Try advertising in a local yacht club, if you don't know anyone to ask. That would help both of
you to gain experience of the bar and conditions outside, and would be a big boost to your confidence.

Last edited by LynW; 04-20-2008 at 05:43 AM.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-20-2008

I had a lot of questions going up the coast about bar crossings, no real answers from the finger pier captains at the marinas. I found the section on bar crossings in Practical Seamanship to be comforting and informative. Fortunately, my timing was good for the most of the coast. The only really bad conditions I experienced was San Francisco. Got underway a couple hows too late with a good 4 knot ebb. Waves were very, very steep and close together. Lots of water over the bow and lots of hard pounding. Negative G-forces near the bow... yuck. I felt the power of the Columbia about 20 miles offshore, but didn't go in. Good luck with it. That part of the west coast isn't very inviting for sailing is it?
post #17 of 18 Old 04-20-2008
Telstar 28

There's a very good reason that the USCG has a rescue boat training facility right near there... Not a good place to get caught by bad weather.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Indeed - a fair warning to watch the weather and listen to conditions: Another classic image from the Bar.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.