Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008

jimmiebuchanan is on a distinguished road
Advice for first time on ocean

My girlfriend and I have been teaching ourselves to sail on the Columbia River for about 6 months now and we are considering taking our first day sail out on the ocean. We've done a ton of research on crossing the bar and that is a whole topic on its own, so let's leave that issue aside for the moment. Our boat is a 1972 Newport 27 and one of my concerns is where the transom is cut out for the outboard motor. Should I be concerned about getting swamped by large waves from behind due to the transom cutout? My naive optimism says, "hey, at least the water can also drain out the transom very quickly." Another area in which we could really use some advice is in dealing with the swell. Obviously it will be new to us since we have only sailed on the river. When we look at forecasts and try to decide a good day for the first trip what should we consider a "forget about it" amount of swell? When I see a forecast of swell at 12ft that sounds a little frightening, but then again I guess if the period were long maybe it wouldn't be dangerous and would instead just be sea-sickness inducing. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
Ocean waves are usually more comfortable the the river... As long as you stay away from the surf. Check the weather before you go and make sure you have alternate propulsion lined up (an engine). You might have to get back in a hurry...
Old 04-14-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Swells on the open sea are rarely a problem - and on their own are not going to be a problem vis a vis your transom cutout.

However you are dealing with the Columbia Bar, and here a high swell can turn nasty, especially on a strong ebb.

We crossed that bar some years ago with a largish swell, and they were impressive over the bar. But it was a calm day otherwise and it went fine.

A wind-driven wave train against the river flow can, as you know, create hellish conditions. Wait for a good weather window and talk to the locals that know. In our experience the USCG will not advise you whether to go or not. They'll give the prevailing conditions and leave you to decide for yourself.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-14-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I remember my first time at the ocean, and that I have ...

dreamed for that years before, so I dreamed the situation so many times, it showed to us like realization ! You're right, although your transon can take water, make sure it can leave at same rate. The problem is when it gets trapped in the cockpit finding its way downstairs, through locker, or even on main entrance. Once you keep things down there dry, you're ok. Well, swells are exactly what drives me going back over and over. The balance of the boat, the feel of up/down , really attract us. Make sure there will be no breakers (usually too wind), and avoid close rocky coasts, as these swells will reflect on the rock and will counteract against new ones arriving, making its shape too steep (I mean, its top will be more sharp), prone to break and very unconfortable, specially taking it sideways. You're correct also about the lenght/frequency of each wave, the longer and les frequent will give you more pleasure. Remember, all these will be affected on how close you're to the coast and its shape. Anyway, enjoy and after a while you'll be hipnotized as well ...... in a good sense .....
Old 04-16-2008

jimmiebuchanan is on a distinguished road
The advice and encouragement is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
take the advise above and go for it! pack a lunch and some drinks and have an excellent time. you will probably be surprised and amazed at your sailing skills, and your confidence will build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 04-16-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Iv been out the bar twice...both times on a charter boat fishing...I remember the fist time well as it was pretty hairy...second time fairly begin so I cant hardly even remember it...choose wisly..
Old 04-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jimmie-

Keep in mind that a storm will close off the river entrance to you, and that there aren't too many navigable ports along that stretch of coastline in bad weather... so keep a very good eye on the weather when you do go out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2008
"Nevis Nice"

hphoen is on a distinguished road
You're right, with an open transom, the water will run out quickly. If you're worried about getting pooped, make sure you're both tethered to the boat with good harnesses, and keep the companionway drop-boards in and hatches closed and secured.
Old 04-18-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Remember the Simpsons - the bed goes up the bed goes down. Swells look impressive and are a bit scarey at first, but are harmless.
Bars are far more dangerous, however, you seem to have it fairly well sussed, but I would suggest that you go out with more experienced people first. Try your local club. All these things take getting used to and experience reduces anxiety as well as building skill.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.