SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Taken a lesson now, buy or rent?

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  merttan 
#1 ·
Having limited sailing experience (occasional crew with uncles as a kid/teen) I decided it best to read some books and then take a basic sailing class (with wife so she knows what we are getting into).

What we want, I think, is an older, comfortable bay cruiser, something in the 25'-33' range (wide range) for daysailing and weekending on the Chesapeake. Something like that is not in the budget right now, maybe next year or the following, and perhaps more importantly I would like to improve my skills before getting into a bigger boat. So that leaves me in a bit of a dilemma for this season, do I join a club with ~20-24' daysailers or purchase my very own inexpensive (kinda beat up) practice boat.

I've looked at a couple of clubs so far and my reservations with the club are: beat up boats, halyards not rigged to cockpit, limited hours and availability, no overnights, need to supply VHF, GPS.... And the cost of a club is comparable to a season of slip rental, but no maintenance for me.

I've looked at a few boats in the <$2k range and one I am currently considering is pretty beat up, but the big things are a crack at the top of the rudder, a couple of cracks at the underside of the deck (exposed foam core) and the need for some new ropes. Other than that all lines are rigged to the cockpit, it has a main traveler, a decent suite of sails and a decent outboard. I figure I could sail this for a year or 2 while I get more experience and the initial investment isn't too great.

I suppose a third option is to try to crew some races and rent-a-boat whenever I can. I'm within 30 minute drive to the Raritan and Chesapeake.

Any advice for a budding sailor?

See less See more
#3 ·
I teach sometimes, and think it's invaluable for a student to be able to go out in a daysailing boat and "try out" what was taught in the lesson.

But you don't have to buy a boat to do it, and since you're waiting to buy your "eventual" boat, the club may be a good option. Or, find another club where they race, and offer yourself as a beginner crew. Lots of these I would think around the Chesapeake.

Or if you want your own boat, get a small one, maybe even a singlehander like a Laser or a Sunfish. The principles are the same, the budget impact is smaller, and any repairs won't eat up your wallet.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

#4 · (Edited)
I'd also say go the club route, I spent my first summer of sailing at Community Boating - Boston, MA, sailing daysailers as often as I could, which quickly became all day Saturdays and Sundays and most evenings. I bought my first boat, a 23' the next spring. I think there is no learning substitute for time in the boat, the more time the better, plus some opportunity to sail with more experienced sailors. serving as race crew is excellent.

Community Boating is a non-profit, adult membership is only $229 and you can use a boat as often as you wish, although you may have to wait on the dock a bit if you are there when the crowd arrives, Sat/Sun afternoons. You should check in your area for a similar club, otherwise pay more for a plac ewith bigger boats, perhaps less use of them.

Buy something next year if you both are still in the game.

#7 ·
I'd second Community Boating, if you're in the Boston area. :) I spent many days sailing on their fleet of Cape Cod Mercuries. :)

#5 ·
I agree, the club is probably the best way to go. While cost is close to slip fee price there is no maint/improvemnt costs, insurance, rego, etc... that go along. Some clubs do offer cruising memberships that allow overnighting/extended cruising. Don't get hung-up on the "all lines lead to cockpit" thing. Much better to learn what they do the old school way before worrying about things like that. (What if something breaks and you HAVE to go to the mast?)

Try J World in Annapolis. I think they offer both daysailing and cruising and you should be able to crew for Wed. races some if you are interested. However, if your current screen name is correct you may have some issues getting accepted to many clubs.;)

#6 ·
Find a yacht club, like mine Welcome To The Yacht Club of Cape St. Claire, close to where you want to sail. Send a email to the commodore (me in the above case) and see if they can hook you up with a sailor. I do this routinely, it's part of the duties and responsibilities I love most.
We 'race' fridays. It's more about sailing the course as best you can than speed demons with Mylar sails. For you, it's free.
The best way to learn to sail is free, on someone elses boat. The down side is you only learn to sail as good as the skipper/owner of that boat. The up side is you have a heck of a lot of fun and meet fellow sailors for free.

Buying a beater can have liabilities. Not just slip fees, maintenance etc - but if it's really a beater you will not be able to sell it (or even donate it, ask me how I know) - you will have to pay more to trash it (yes, cut it up and haul it off) than the boat cost.
Think it through, find and make a sailing buddy. Sailnet or local yacht clubs are a good place to start.

#9 ·
I would humbly suggest crewing on club race nights, etc... and taking out the club boat whenever it's available to you.

If you spend $2k on a boat this year, and we'll say for argument's sake that you don't spend any money fixing/maintaining it this year, that's $2k that you won't have next fall when you want to buy your 30-footer. It's not a given that you'll be able to unload the $2k boat right away for the $2k that you spent buying it... Just a thought.

#10 ·
I certainly have no particularly good insight other than what you have received above, but, you are asking good questions and ABSOLUTELY MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION getting back in to sailing.

Welcome!

David

#13 ·
What this really means is you can buy a Catalina 22 for $2-3K, dump a lot more money into it over 1-2 years, sell it for a portion of what you put into it, and have had the opportunity to sail your own boat and learn a lot about fixing up and maintaining a boat that you do not intend to keep.

Although the Club idea is nice (did that for a year), there is no substitute for owning your own boat and learning to love the care, maintenance, and improvements you can make along the way, even on your first "junker" boat. If you have the means and a little time, I would encourage you to buy the cheap (but "sailable") boat, learn on it for a year or two, learn what feature you like and don't like about it, then buy the "keeper" for some serious sailing that fits your dreams. Along the way, it has been helpful for me to crew on a local racing boat, and spend countless hours (I think my wife is actually counting....) at the local West Marine/online stores searching for the perfect solution to a nagging problem. Owning your own sailboat is 1/2 sailing/seamanship, and 2/3 maintenance/care/upkeep, much of which we actually like doing and find incredibly rewarding and relaxing. Don't forget the expenses, though.

Good luck, and get out there....

#14 ·
Thanks for the tips. One thing I like of a beater is the "getting to know you" aspect. I actually enjoy fixing things, although my only fiber glass experience has been with surfboards. I'm still keeping my eye out, roaming the marinas, and I've got a couple of eyes on the hunt in NJ as well. But we are leaning to the club part (at least for this season), since that can get us in the water this weekend.

My plan is to sail the club boats on weekends, and try to crew some races during the week to get exposure to different boats.

#17 ·
Hi, David. I came across your post while following the thread about buying versus club racing. I am in somewhat the same "boat" as the original poster. One of the boats that I am considering is the same model as yours. Would you recommend this model for a first boat to fit a crew of 2-4? I will be taking some lessons, but I have been sailing most of my life off and on. I know the 30' is very popular and pretty roomy. Any other insights intop this boat?

Thanks, Bill

#20 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. I've joined a club and have got out a few times already, but I'm keeping my eye out for my first boat (cruising the marinas, ads, ebay :rolleyes: and craigslist etc) The club also has Thursday night races, which I hope to start to take part in next week to get a feel for the casual race atmosphere. From there I want to look into crewing in other races to get some different perspective, different boats etc.

FWIW, here are the problem areas of the cheap-sail-her-into-the-ground boat...

#21 ·
I just bought a cheap boat to remind myself the things that'll go wrong... So far only complain is about the outboard engine and uncomfortable feeling of lightweight heeling... Engine problems, I'm used to... Heeling with a really light displacement , not yet... If you are, like me, after having a dream boat one day, buy a cheap boat to start dealing with the problems, once you come to level of confidence, you can surely enjoy a bigger better boat... If it's just for hobby, renting is a lot less expensive and enjoyable...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.