Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008

Van02 is on a distinguished road
Private instructor in Annapolis?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a private instructor in Annapolis? I have taken ASA 101 and I'm looking for some dedicated training. I own a 27 Catalina. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van02 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a private instructor in Annapolis? I have taken ASA 101 and I'm looking for some dedicated training. I own a 27 Catalina. Thanks.
What kind of training? General daysailing, coastal cruising, racing, navigation? Do you want training per se, in a specific area, or do you just need a knowledgeable sailing partner to help you build a little on what you've learned in ASA 101, until you feel confident enough to go it alone?
Old 05-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
What kind of training? General daysailing, coastal cruising, racing, navigation? Do you want training per se, in a specific area, or do you just need a knowledgeable sailing partner to help you build a little on what you've learned in ASA 101, until you feel confident enough to go it alone?

Just daysailing. I need some pointers on docking and, yes, some confidence building.
Old 05-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van02 View Post
Just daysailing. I need some pointers on docking and, yes, some confidence building.
You can hire someone for that if you'd like, of course, but it sounds like all you really need is someone with experience to sail with you who can help you consolidate what you learned in the classes, and add to it a bit. I'll volunteer, since I'm retired, have the time, live in the area, like to sail and like to teach. You should be able to accomplish what you want in one or two sessions. If you want to discuss it further, PM me through the forum.
Old 05-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
You can hire someone for that if you'd like, of course, but it sounds like all you really need is someone with experience to sail with you who can help you consolidate what you learned in the classes, and add to it a bit. I'll volunteer, since I'm retired, have the time, live in the area, like to sail and like to teach. You should be able to accomplish what you want in one or two sessions. If you want to discuss it further, PM me through the forum.

This sounds great. I would love to take you up on the offer. Unfortunately, I can't send you a PM or an e-mail because I don't have enough posts. Would you e-mail me at vanmiller@earthlink dot net (replace dot with ".")? Thanks, Van.

Last edited by Van02; 05-19-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2008
Beneteau First 435E

nparadis5476 is on a distinguished road
We are looking for the same thing....

We are looking for the same thing....can you describe your experience? We would insist on some type of compensation, at least for your time.
Old 07-17-2008

I've been sailing for 30 years and racing successfully about the same amount of time, winning my club championship twice and a national championship twice. I've taught sailing for the YMCA, written some published articles on cruising, and, if Van02 is still around, I believe he'll confirm that our 1/2 day session was worthwhile.

I can't accept compensation for teaching, but Van02 treated me to a sandwich and cold beer afterwards, which was nice, but not necessary.

If you want to schedule a session and your boat is in the Chesapeake Bay area, send me a private email through the forum. Feel free to bring others along if you wish.
Old 07-17-2008
Beneteau First 435E

nparadis5476 is on a distinguished road
lesson

we are new to forum so can't use private yet.

Any chance you are free on the 25th or 26th of this month?

We have just purchased a 1988 Beneteau First 435. I grew up sailing and was fairly experienced at one point. But it has been more than 20 years and I would like some help with become re-familiarized.

The boat is located in Rose Haven, Maryland.

Thanks -
Old 07-17-2008

July 25 or 26 are OK with me. Please email me with info regarding time and place at sailorman6 at netzero.net (Note: my email address is spelled slightly differently from my sailnet online name.)
Old 07-17-2008
Catalina 320

jnsailing is on a distinguished road
Clone?

Sailormon - care to clone yourself and send one up to Long Island for a day or two? Would love to have someone along to help knock out the cobwebs while taking the "new to me" baby out for some spins

Catalina 320
College Point, NY