Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Spinnaker with sock...

I have this:

It has a short line and a plastic u-shaped thingy attached to the tack, two long lines attached to the clew, the head is up in the sock of course. On the boat there is a block on the port side of the bow pulpit, and two stand up blocks near the stern, one on each side. Now, I know the head gets attached to the spinnaker halyard, and the sock hoisted. The P.O. showed me how to work the sock, but I forgot what he told me about where everything else attaches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It almost looks like he added a block to the pulpit that may have been intended for the tack line.... but I'd suggest you not use that if so.

You can attach the tack line to the same fitting for the jib tack, mount a block there and run the tack line through the block and back to somewhere within reach of the cockpit. This will allow you to raise and lower the tack of the sail as you vary your apparent wind angle (lower closer to the wind, higher as you bear off)

The plastic thingy attached to the tack (corner marked "T") is meant to go around the forestay with a furled headsail as the support for the tack. These collars are pretty standard on these sails, but some prefer to fly the tack free off the deck as you can get more projection that way as you go deeper downwind. You can probably look into that once you get the hang of this sail.

Otherwise, the sail attaches pretty much like a headsail, tack to the bow, sheets aft to the cockpit. Your spinnaker halyard should lead fairly and be above the forestay so that you are not chafing the halyard on the exit box in the mast or the headstay.

The lazy sheet should also go around in front of the headstay so you can gybe the sail in front of the boat.

Enjoy!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
I have this:

It has a short line and a plastic u-shaped thingy attached to the tack,
The line is a tack downhaul and the plastic thing is a tack sleeve that is designed to go around a furled headsail usually, and allows the asymetric spinnaker to work much like a oversized genoa. The ATN Tacker is a commercially sold version of that plastic cuff.
Quote:
two long lines attached to the clew, the head is up in the sock of course.
The two long lines are the sheets, and they go around the front of the forestay, and the asym is basically gybed around the outside of the forestay.
Quote:
On the boat there is a block on the port side of the bow pulpit,
Probably for the tack downhaul.
Quote:
and two stand up blocks near the stern, one on each side.
for the asym spinnaker sheets.
Quote:
Now, I know the head gets attached to the spinnaker halyard, and the sock hoisted. The P.O. showed me how to work the sock, but I forgot what he told me about where everything else attaches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2008
Swansea, MA

pfatyol is on a distinguished road
What about the Sleeve control lines?

S/V "Fat-Kat"
C&C 32, Hull #237
Mt. Hope Bay
Old 05-21-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfatyol View Post
What about the Sleeve control lines?
Those I have figured out.

Thanks for the info guys!

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 05-21-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Everyone has mentioned that the sheets go ahead of the forestay but have failed to point out that there are two ways to do that. One way is between the sail and the forestay and the other way is ahead of the sail. Putting the sheet between the sail and the forestay pulls the sail through the gap on a gybe. That is normally the lighter winds setup. Putting the sheet ahead of the sail is the heavy air (and more experienced sailor) setup. That allows the sail to completely invert ahead of the boat. The danger is you can run over your own sheet. Try it through the gap for the first few sets.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217

Last edited by Plumper; 05-21-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
If you are new to asymmetric spinnakers, you may wish to peruse this thread:

EDIT: Sorry folks, can't seem to make the link work. Trying again:

Nope, still doesn't work.

The thread is entitled "How to fly an asymmetrical spinnaker (or even spell it correctly)", posted by Pub911 on 1/16/2008. Should be able to find it with a search.

FINALLY, thanks to SailingDog:

LINKHow to fly an asymmetrical spinnaker (or even spell it correctly) - SailNet Community

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 05-22-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
This month's Cruising World as a pretty extensive article on it as well.
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JRP-

Make it a link but use your own text to link with... and use a word that the sailnet autolinking doesn't pick up, and convert the url using tinyurl.com.

LINK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-21-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2008

vabuckeye will become famous soon enough vabuckeye will become famous soon enough
I cannot let this die yet. I don't have a tack sleeve to attach my spinnaker tack too since I don't have a rolled furling. How do I attach this to the bow? I was going to try with a leader long enough to clear the railings and see how I faired. Or attach it directly to the bow? Not really ready to start flying the spinnaker yet as I am still learning the basics, but I have wondered on this most of the winter.

Jim