Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008
A Quest for the Spirit

Dogsoldier is on a distinguished road
Sailing Schools in Houston Area

Hey Guys and Gals....I'm looking for a sailing school in the Houston area, Kemah, Clear Lake, Seabrook etc. to do an ASA school throught the Bareboat level. I've owned and sailed a 22' Catalina around lakes in the Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas areas for about 10 years, but I have no saltwater experience outside of a couple of day rentals in San Diego of a like boat bobbing around in the bay. I'm looking to further my education with the goal of rentals in the Galveston Bay area as well as San Franciso Bay area (family).

Does anyone have any suggestions of schools to get into or ones to avoid in the Galveston Bay area?

BTW I've looked at lots of websites of schools in the area and many of them look quite good, but its hard to tell from a website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to Sailnet. I'd recommend you read the post in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. Can't recommend any schools in that area, but CD will be along in a bit and he can help, since he's from Texas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-30-2008

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Dogsoldier, this thread has recent responses to essentially the same question.

Another Texas Member
Old 06-30-2008
A Quest for the Spirit

Thanks a ton already...and what a nice welcome!
Old 06-30-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Take a drive over to Kemah/Seabrook some Saturday, go to Watergate Marina, lots of boat brokers, talk to them - they have a lot of local knowledge about schools, marinas, etc. Then go eat some great seafood - not far South of Watergate is a great nice little place - Joe Lee's (it was Joe Lee's on the Creek) until about 20-years ago when a hurricane wiped them out - now they are a bit inland).
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 06-30-2008

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
a great school

in 2000 or so a friend and i went to windward sailing in clear lake - now part of the issue is the captain - we had a guy who worked for nasa and was a great teacher - i had never been on a sailboat before and he really taught us how to sail -
as information after a couple of more lessons at a school in fla and some charting in ct - i bought boat 3 years later - a jeanneau ds40 and now am a full time cruiser
take a hard look at windward and see if the guy who works with the shuttle arm is still teaching there - he had some health issues so he may not be there any longer -
as caution - if you are going to take a female with you make it very clear up front that any nonsense on talking down to her and not treating as an equal - ran into a guy who went to a school in fla and the instructor made his wife feel as if he did not want her on the water - result is he failed her and she is giving up on sailing -
just my thoughts
chuck and svsoulmates
ki4sry
in new bern for 6 more days
Old 07-01-2008
A Quest for the Spirit

Thanks another ton guys. I think I have narrowed it down between Windard and Bay Area. I think a road trip is in my future. TejasSailors link above was some good info about Bay Area and Chuck offers some sound advice.

johnshasteen, you gotta know a Louisiana boy do luv his seafood. More good sound advice on taking the tour and asking questions. Thanks yet another ton. Isn't that three tons now?
Old 07-01-2008

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Talk to Glen at Sackets. (281) 334-4179
Old 07-02-2008

kymbie is on a distinguished road
Completed the 103/104 combo at Bay Area (Sacketts) this last weekend it was a great course, and as I already had some saling experience they recommended that I challenge out the 101 course - this saved me a couple of hundred dollars and was the rght thing to do.

My instructor was Tony who taught us on his own boat a Pearson 385 - we were a small class (only 2) and I am female and didn't feel I was treated any different than the guy on my course.

I can definitely recommend Bay Area
Old 07-04-2008
A Quest for the Spirit

I called Bay Area yesterday and have it all set up. I'm not going to challenge the 101 course since it has been so long since I've been on the water. I start next weekend with the 101 and a couple of weeks later with the Combo. I feel like a kid waiting to start school...... albeit a balding kid .... You guys and gals sealed the deal....Thanks!!

Last edited by Dogsoldier; 07-04-2008 at 10:15 PM.