Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008
flylikeabeagle

flylikeabeagle is on a distinguished road
Recommended classes

Hi All,

My husband and I just purchased a 16ft. fiberglass sailboat and we are in the process of learning how to sail. So far I am enjoying every aspect of sailing. We've been out a total of three times and reallly don't know what we are doing yet. It's been wonderful and I am hooked even though we have had our share of lumps. Next weekend we have a friend coming along to teach us that is an experienced sailor and instructor. Our goal is to eventually work up to a larger boat, sell everything, and take a couple of years off to sail the world. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what classes might be valuable to take while we are working towards our getaway? We are total rookies. I know there is nothing like experience and I have been reading a bunch too. Any classes or certifications that you all might recommend would be much appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Take the Coast Guard Auxillary boating course and enough ASA type courses to have you feeling comfortable. Read some of the books on the book list here and just get out and sail!
Old 07-06-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Learn what you can from your friend, if he is an instructor, and sail the devil out of your boat. Have fun, stay alive, and do it again. When you think you are ready to move up, crew on someone elses boat (always the cheapest option) or test through ASA 101/103 ( they will let you take a test which you will pass with a little reading) and take a 104/105 week long class on a larger boat. You will then decide if you like it or not, what you may want in a bigger boat to live on, and then realize this stuff is expensive. However, if you love it, you will do it anyway!

If you can, try to take the 104/105 class seperately. Dominate partners are the norm, and when the stuff hits the fan 50 miles off shore, it is a good thing to have two people that know what to do.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook