clarify and possible problems
Just to make sure we are all talking the same language here, you are using luff and leach backwards. The luff is the leading edge and the leech is the trailing edge.
Now I'm not sure I totally understand your problem. If the head of the mast is making it, but you just can't tighten the luff, then you may:
- need to loosen the main sheet
- need to loosen the boom vang
- try using the topping lift if equiped
If the head board is not making it to the mast head, some ideas I have are:
- make sure the halyard is run properly (e.g., not on the wrong side of a lazy jack)
- lube the track like you say
- check all the blocks leading the halyard aft
- if you have a winch at the mast, try using it
- using the deck mounted winch as a means of routing the halyard may be creating too much friction
- is it a wire or rope halyard - check the halyard for integrity
- you could have a fouled or seized sheave at the mast head
hope this helps.