Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008

mxtommy is on a distinguished road
Approaching unknown marinas

Hi!

Only started this year so be easy on me please. I've basically got the sailing part down, however have a question regarding how things "work" on the water. I'm sailing on Lake Champlain in case it makes a difference.

Yesterday I went out for a short sail, and sailed across the lake planning to just drop anchor in a small bay for a bit to have lunch and then sail back. Getting near there though we saw a marina next to the bay, and my friend and I decided we'd rather have a proper lunch then the stuff we brought with us. I'd never been to this marina before, and didn't know how they operate or what channel they were on. I hadn't been planning on going there so didn't take the time to find anything out in advance like I normally would.

So that in mind, what is the proper way to "make contact" with them? Go on channel 16 and hail the "unknown marina at X/y gps position"?

In the end what we did was anchor just outside their mooring field and row in. We didn't stay long enough to find out if that was ok or not though because they were closed due to high winds the day before knocking out power and water. (not to mention a few large trees )

Was that ok? What's the proper way to approach an unknown marina?

Thanks!

Thomas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2008
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
If they have a dock on the outside, you could have pulled up to that and tied up until you found someone to ask where they'd like you to be. Some marinas have a person standing by to do just that.

If there was no outside dock, you could pull into any unoccupied slip and then find someone to ask. The important thing is to find someone right away and let them know you are there and where you should be.

What you did was also OK. Again, the first thing to do is tell someone at the marina where you are.

Channel 9 would have been a better choice than 16, since 9 is the "Boater Calling. Commercial and Non-Commercial" channel. 16 is for emergencies.
Old 07-20-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Thomas, when you brought up GPS in your post, I was reminded of why I love my little hand held unit. While I was helping a buddy deliver his boat to Tampa, I learned that my Garmin has little icons that represent nearby marinas and other notable info. By clicking on them, I was able to find the marina's name, phone number, whether they had fuel, water, what their services were and even if there was a restaurant. At the time I didn't have a cell phone, but it wasn't long after, I joined the ranks. Just another way....

Bob
Old 07-21-2008

PTsailing is on a distinguished road
We bought a book that lists all the marinas in our area, we just have to look up the marina in question and find either the channel they use or their phone number.
Old 07-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many commercial charts will list marinas in the area covered. This is especially true of the Richardson and Maptech waterproof chart books...which have a summary of marine facilities and how to contact them in the back. Also, any cruising guide to an area will have marina contact info, as will some of the coastal almanacs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Like the Dog and others have said, use your charts or cruising guides to look them up, if that fails, do a drive by. You might find a staff member. If its a small marina and not congested or busy, you should be able to communicate with them with out even stopping. If you don't find a staff member, see if they have a temporary dock to tie up to. Just don't approach a strange marina unprepared at night.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-30-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Here's what you want to buy... Lake Champlain

It's the bible for cruising Champlain, containing all the info on all of the marinas, including what they have, how to hail them, what's near them, etc. It should be available at most marinas on Champlain, and also at West Marine in Burlington.

I'm guessing you were at North Hero Marina? They got slammed a couple of weeks ago by 70mph+ winds that broke free a few docks, took some trees down and shut down their power. They have an excellent Tiki Bar with good down to earth food and a lively character (Uncle Buck) behind the counter.

Most marinas on Champlain will monitor channel 16 and 9, but will not respond to an "Unknown Marina" call. The best bet is, as Sailor mentioned, to motor or sail about and find someone to ask, or just pull up to the fuel dock if you can figure out which one it is.

We're on Champlain too, and love it! Perhaps we'll see you out there...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 07-30-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
In general, I've had luck using 16 to obtain local knowledge. Just don't stay on 16 any longer than absolutely necessary.

Example:

"Sailboat X seeking local knowledge about navigation and marinas in southwest Mobile bay"

Answer: "Y back, switch to another channel, try 69?"

Response: "Roger, 69"

Worked for me last time I needed to know whether I should tack around an obstruction or try to go inside it..
Old 08-01-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
I would advocate asking for forgiveness rather than permission…find the fuel dock and pull alongside, you’ll either get assistance or tie yourself off, and then seek docking instructions. Otherwise find an empty mooring grab the loop have you’re second in command stay aboard in case the mooring owner/renter returns, and you row in for directions.

Otherwise most marinas have a hailing channel prominently displayed, if they don’t they don’t want your business, drop the hook.
Old 08-01-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Another source to try is ActiveCaptain. Using activecaptain from a computer is free, but they have fee based service that works with Cell phones. I just checked and Lake Champlain, and the marinas therin are in there.