Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2002

SloopHim is on a distinguished road
New England Sail

Hi Folks,

As some of you started out my wife and I are planning on buying a sailboat and cruising for a year or so. We know nothing. Well, I shouldn''t say that. We have sailed small cats (12-16ft) on lakes before and we have been researching all aspects of sailing.

We have been going down to the docks to talk to people and have found the majority of people love to talk about their hobby and adventures. We''re currently looking at various sailing classes, doing budgets, and looking at sail boats.

If there are any cruisers currently in the area (Boston MA - Portsmouth NH) we''d love to buy ya dinner or drinks and hear about your adventures. So far our search of the dock areas hasn''t turned up any long distance cruisers.

If there are any day/weekend sailors that would be willing to take a fun couple out for a sail we''d love to hear from you as well. We''re certainly willing to help crew or provide some means of compensation. Mechanically, we just want to get out on the water and feel out some simple things. (ie; do we dislike the heel of the boat enough to consider buying a multihull, or is the heel of the boat an attraction) Personally, we want to meet like minded people.

We are a very outgoing couple with a passion for life. We''re both 40 but have good friends from early 20''s to late 50''s. Our motto is to say hi to everyone, else you might miss meeting some of the best people.

Drop us a line and say hi.

Cheers,
Alan and Tricia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2002

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
New England Sail

This is a good way to find out what really is best for you. Myself, I did it the hard way and got a 25'' sloop that was too small for what I wanted out of a boat.

I retrospect I got by, it was all I could afford and I sold it at a very good price.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2002

SloopHim is on a distinguished road
New England Sail

Thanks for the comment Mike. I was beginning to wonder if maybe not adding an email address was causing the lack of response. So for anyone else that might want to say hi you can leave me a message here on sailnet or email me directly at SloopHim@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Alan
Old 12-09-2002

windship36 is on a distinguished road
New England Sail

Check out the topic SAILING ADVENTURES IN CANADA...we are only a days drive from New England and if you''re looking for some on-board sailing experience, this is one way to do it on a 36 footer...
www.windship.cjb.net

email windship36@hotmail.com for information
Old 12-09-2002

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
New England Sail

Check out this guy. His name if Raffi. He has a Hinckley 50 out of Gloucester. He''s just got her back from Texas and I''m sure he can set you up into our network of friends in your area! Heck yes, we''ve got a ton of sea stories and I doubt it would take much to get an evening going where we could get the gang together for a gam! Question is, just how inundated do you want to be?

http://www.gis.net/~ljkraffi/