Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
Wranglin' the old girl

went out yesterday with the guy that i own the boat with (Tab), my wife and my sister... all of whom question my sailing skills..
we had a great day, 70F and 6-8knts...
we sailed for around 5 hours and had a great time...

So good in fact, Tab and I decided we would go out again today, because he doesnt get alot of time off work..

went out without the girls around 11AM and there was no wind..
we went putzing around with the motor to look at the channel and head closer to the bouy near the ocean..
around 1230 there was still no wind and we decided to head back in..
as we started to go back the wind increased (we had the sails up) to 5 then 10 then around 15..

we tore up and down the bay, and tacked and jibed many times, pretending to tack and "round a mark" in a race....

we had her heeled over about 25-30 degrees, and got to experience her heading up into the wind when we went too far over..

what a fantastic day..

so here's the question..
we were letting the mainsheet out to spill wind, so it was more easily controlled .. and wondered how we should put a reef in..

there is a reef grommet at the front of the sail as well as two lines through the sail and a grommet in the back whose line leads through a block and to two cleats..
we know we should pull the back of the sail down, and tie the center 2 lines down. but...

it looks like the front grommet should be tied down to the boom, ( is that normal ) there is a short metal bar holding the tack of the sail in, but it is not curly/curved enough to hold the reef..

whaddaya think ??

JG
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Brakes - I'll leave the reefing advice to other's more knowledgeable than I in that area. But from your description of the day - you definitely had a Big Freakin' Sail. Sweet.

PS - Kudos on the nicely provocative thread title.
Old 11-03-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
A picture would help.

Normally there is a big reefing eye in the tack of the mainsail, and you hook it onto a hook at the goosneck. A reefing outhaul tensions the foot of the sail, and don't pull the halyard tight until the outhaul is tensioned.

When you tie the reefing ties, remember not to tie them round the boom.

Practice all of this in port, with the wind ahead of your boat.

It is far easier to do in port than on a bouncy sea.
Old 11-03-2008

farmboy is on a distinguished road
I'm no reefing expert, but a picture is a good idea. I found this thread, in case you haven't seen it: Main Sail Reefing?. If you're heeling too much, it could be a sail trim issue. If you're trimmed in too tight, you'll heel over and stall.

Rockter,

I'm a little confused. Do you not tie the excess main around the boom?
Shark24 #337
Old 11-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Farmboy-

If you tie the reefing points to the boom and forget to untie them when shaking out the reef, you're far more likely to tear the sail and end up with a very expensive sail repair... if you've just tied them around the bottom of the sail, it will often not tear that easily, giving you a chance to fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2008

My mainsail slides into the boom (bolt rope I believe is the correct term) so the foot of the sail is completely attached to the boom. I have a single set of reefing points a couple of feet up the sail. As far as I can see, the only option I have is to tie around the boom. Am I missing something?
Shark24 #337
Old 11-03-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Farmboy, you are not missing anything. There are several way to attach the foot of the main sail to the boom. Bolt rope in to a track. sail slugs in to a track. Loose footed mains that are only attached at the clew and tack, usually used with furling main sails. With your set up the only you can do it is to tie around the boom.
Old 11-03-2008

Thanks bubb.
Shark24 #337
Old 11-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Farmboy-

Many modern sails are loose-footed, and allow you to pass the nettles between the foot of the sail and the boom. One reason a lot of people have their sails modified to loose footed, is that it is often easier to control the sail shape with a loose-footed sail, since there is less friction, which gives you more control with the outhaul.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2008

Thanks Dog. That makes a lot of sense. Given that our boat is 40 years old, I'm not totally aware of newer designs.
Shark24 #337