Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2002

omathenia is on a distinguished road
FAST TRAK SAILING SCHOOL??

Hello from Sunny Spain
I recently Left the Army after ten years and have been living in Spain for over a year now. I started sailing a year ago and have not stopped since! I know this is what I want to for the rest of my days and I am looking for a sailing school. I have noticed British ads for 16/17 week programs that include all the RYA courses up to and including Yach Masters. My question is do we have this in the States? I would like to do all the ASA courses straight through and not one at a time, also do these schools have campuses or provide housing?

Thanks for your time

Ocie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2002
JeffH

There used to be a number of schools that used the name "Chapmans'' that offered a pretty dense program of courses on Navigation and safety issues. I have not seen their ads lately but I may have just missed them. J-world probably offers the most detailed course in sail trim and boat handling. Community Colleges often have the best first aid courses. I am not sure where I would suggest that you go to learn boat maintenance skill.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 09-14-2002

omathenia is on a distinguished road

Appreciate it, I was kinda hoping for a one stop shop deal. I would like to pay my money and go from ground zero to hero in the same place....like a military academy or something. In England they have 16 week programs, but over there the weather sucks!!

Eddie
Old 09-19-2002

pblais is on a distinguished road

I know a little about the ASA program so I can speak to that. US Sailing also has a program of a similar nature and seemily every bit as good. In the end it''s the intructor more than the school. Try to meet the instructor and see if you like working with them. Not all intructors teach all courses either. Many of the good advanced instructors are really bad with beginners.

I''ve seen the 7 ASA course offered in groups of as many as 3. The first 3 are often offered as a week live aboard. The next two include the first navigation as well as advanced coastal cruising, the last two are celestial navigation and passage making. The two navigation courses are required before the other sailing courses. You generally have to take them in order except the first navigation course that you can take any time.

One thing about the all ASA courses is the classroom trainning is very minimal. They depend on you to do all that at home through the course books. You study the course books before you take the class. That gives you the most time on the water sailing with your instructor.

Another way to supplement the naviagtion courses is through local Power Squadron navigation classes. They teach two levels and cover everything you would need and they do it on a more school classroom basis with a test at the end. Often held in a local school or church a couple nights a week for some weeks.

Some of this all depends on what your final goal is too.

I''m not sure you could really do all of them back to back without some time in between to study up. Some actual sailing might help too. Hours at the tiller count for a lot.

You could easily study all the navigatoion as a home study then perform the on board portions with the repsctive classes as well as take the written exams. ASA offers an option to "test out" with apractical and written exam too. So it sort of depends if the certification is as important to you as the education part of it.

What I think you could do is to find a school and location that offers all the courses. Enroll in them based on the schedule that they have available. In between you could fill in with private lessons to perfect your sailing skills too. Add night time naviagtion and you could put together a very good course over a full sailing season.

After that you can work on all the other things though basics will be part of any course too. Boat systems are complex enough that you''ll need to spend a lot of time with those. I''m not sure you never can master them all. It becomes part of sailing that you continue to learn more.

The fact that it never really ends is part of what makes it the sport that it is. A quick crash course really won''t change that, but it could be a heck of a good boost to get you going.