Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008

ban3 is on a distinguished road
How do I work up to a charter on the Chesapeake

Hi Y'all,

I've had a few years of experience on small day sailers in the Baltimore harbor area and am interested in moving up to some bigger boats. I also have some experience crewing on a 30' Beneteau crossing the bay and on a racing crew on a 36' boat on Lake Michigan near Chicago. I'd eventually like to get comfortable with bareboat charters here on the Chesapeake and perhaps elsewhere as well.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to build up to this. I'm considering taking the ASA 103/104 course once the weather warms up. Just curious if people feel that this is either necessary or sufficient for bareboat chartering in on the Bay. I've tried looking around on some charter company sites for requirements but can't find many specifics. I see that they all require sailing resumes to be submitted. What are they looking for there anyway?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Your best bet is to call the company you wish to charter from and see what they require, as only they can really tell you - and you might be surprized at how little it actually is.

If you want sailing experience on the bay, there are a number of yacht clubs (like mine) that encourage walk on crew for their weekly races. Personally, I always welcome sailnet members to come out sailing with me on a friday night race.
Old 12-25-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ban3 View Post
Hi Y'all,

I've had a few years of experience on small day sailers in the Baltimore harbor area and am interested in moving up to some bigger boats. I also have some experience crewing on a 30' Beneteau crossing the bay and on a racing crew on a 36' boat on Lake Michigan near Chicago. I'd eventually like to get comfortable with bareboat charters here on the Chesapeake and perhaps elsewhere as well.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to build up to this. I'm considering taking the ASA 103/104 course once the weather warms up. Just curious if people feel that this is either necessary or sufficient for bareboat chartering in on the Bay. I've tried looking around on some charter company sites for requirements but can't find many specifics. I see that they all require sailing resumes to be submitted. What are they looking for there anyway?

Cheers!

Howdy ban3 and welcome!

Can't help you much with your chartering...but Sailnetters are always welcome to join me as well on a Friday night race! (ChucklesR is the commodore of my club!)

All the best and good luck,
Craig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-25-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ban3 View Post
Hi Y'all,

Cheers!

The above sounds like you already have experience sufficient for most if not any charter company - in answer to your question regarding what they look for, the first qualification is money and if you are breathing with money, you almost certainly qualify. The ASA courses and their myriad of equivalents are certainly worthwhile if for no other reason than your comfort level but not prerequisites for chartering.
Old 12-25-2008

bigcj39 is on a distinguished road
Welcome aborad!I am always looking for crew on my Hunter 34 out of Urbanna for daysails.
Old 12-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Craigtoo sails a Saber 38 out of the Magothy, he won the overall for our third series last year. Sounds like he knows how to sail, but considering the competition it really means he showed up for most of the races.

I work the b-more harbor area so it's not to far to commute. You need 10 posts to PM either him or me; I don't post my personal email address on line but you (or anyone else interested) can reach me through the commodore email address in the contacts section at Welcome to YCCSC's Web Site - I really am the commodore of our local yacht club (just means I didn't run fast enough come election time).
Old 12-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Craigtoo sails a Saber 38 out of the Magothy, he won the overall for our third series last year. Sounds like he knows how to sail, but considering the competition it really means he showed up for most of the races.
That explains a lot... and Craig's always bragging about his trophies...

Quote:
I work the b-more harbor area so it's not to far to commute. You need 10 posts to PM either him or me; I don't post my personal email address on line but you (or anyone else interested) can reach me through the commodore email address in the contacts section at Welcome to YCCSC's Web Site - I really am the commodore of our local yacht club (just means I didn't run fast enough come election time).
Actually, they waited until he was out getting pizza, and then rammed the nomination and election through behind his back.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-26-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
That explains a lot... and Craig's always bragging about his trophies...

Actually, they waited until he was out getting pizza, and then rammed the nomination and election through behind his back.
(ban3... this is your chance to respond to silly posts to get your count up to 10)

Actually Mr. "I have a Facebook Page" Kim (that's sailingdog), I only bragged like 3 or 4 times about my trophies. And guess what. They're still bigger than yours!

The YCCSC election process is simple. You have to be voted OUT of office. Not in. Once you're an officer... you've got a LIFETIME contract baby.

(That and we have the best parties EVER!)

I love
Old 12-26-2008

ban3 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the helpful info on the charter requirements and for the generous offers to come aboard for the Friday evening sails. When the weather gets nice again, I'll certainly be looking up the skippers who extended the invites...

Not sure I follow all the YCCSC bits, but hey, I'll leave you guys to have your fun!

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to hear a bit of advice on the ASA 103 or 104 courses? Have any of you taken them? Are it worth it? Or is the better bet just to put in some time crewing on some cruisers?
Old 12-26-2008

Ban3
YCCSC is the yacht club of cape st claire, the club I'm the erstwhile commodore of which hosts the friday night races on the magothy river, 15 miles south of baltimore.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.