Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
there was a cute looking yellow ducky on that page you linked to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowwducky View Post
If I can sell here on this idea so far, now all I need to work on is working her up to a decent sized boat. We all know a 48 is better than a 42 right?
48 is a LOT of boat, especially for new boaters.
how many in your tribe?
Old 01-17-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
I am currently teaching "Sailing yachts and seamanship" in Turkey. The course takes a week. Generally I use bareboats located in Aegean or Mediterranian for the course. The boat is generally handled by the students under my supervision and the tour is very similiar to a vacation tour in Aegean.
Old 01-17-2009

yellowwducky is on a distinguished road
Our current plan is charter in Whitsundays - 41 foot is as big as practical or the price shoots through the roof (30% more money for 3 more feet). Hire a skipper, learn as much as possible and see if its up to our expectations (maybe we both hate creaking boats or the sound of the waves who knows). If that works, do one of the 5 day crew with certification plans in November. If that works, 2010 I will need to seriously start thinking about boat buying for 2011 departure.
Old 01-18-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Since nobody else has said it here goes.
It might be good to learn how to sail a smaller boat first before trying to figure out a 40+' sailboat (mono or multi hull). You can learn the basic principles of sailing on ANY boat but smaller boats are more fun (IMHO) and react a lot faster to all adjustments of tiller and sail shape. Once you can tack and gybe a smaller boat you will have an idea of what to expect in the big leagues. Lessons on a small boat will be cheaper too.
Just a thought.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2009

yellowwducky is on a distinguished road
Actually, having looked into lessons here, not really. For two people to get out on a laser size basic sailboat we are looking at 1200 usd for a course for two people. For 6000 usd I can get two of us a certification on a 40 foot monohull and a week vacation at the same time and probably learn a whole heck of a lot more. That route is way more than 6x the time sailing making it great bang for buck not to mention giving overnight passage making experience etc etc on a boat of the size that I would envision buying. To be honest, I don't think the learn on a laser course is worth the money in comparison. Fun, maybe but I want to learn to sail what I expect to actually sail on in terms of size and complexity. That will save a lot of money in the long run in my experience.

I do see some logic in learn small etc etc. That said, I learned to drive stick....on a Porsche 911 convertible! Sure, more powerful etc etc but a stick is a stick after all. And having learned to drive a finicky to get into first gear Porsche, it was a piece of cake driving a toy sized Honda Echo when I rented one of those on vacation in New Zealand.
Old 02-03-2009

evb is on a distinguished road
The Whitsundays would definitely be an elegant place to learn. Perfect beaches and environment.

Personally, I would try to start small. With small boats you won't get yourself into too much trouble. When something does goes wrong nothing terrible will happen. On big boats when things go wrong they can go wrong in a big way. In this respect your Porsche analogy does not apply. The Porsche has great brakes, everything can be stopped at once. When **** hits the fan on larger boats it takes skill and experience to reestablish order. It's not just a matter of mashing the middle pedal.

However, if you can get a chartered whitsunday cruise, do it. That place is great and I cannot imagine a better learning environment.

Completely jealous,
Eric
Old 03-16-2009

shawnkillam is on a distinguished road
Given how long this thread has been inactive you have probably done your charter and I would like to know how it went. I would also like to express a dissenting opinion about separate lessons for the spouse. We tried that to begin with and then together. The admiral and I work pretty well together and we will be the ones sailing together after the lessons so it is good to know what each knows and where the weaknesses are. In our case my wife has some physical handicaps that prevent her from doing any heavy lifting for instance anchors. In my case I have a mental handicap that prevents me from reefing as the wind approaches huricane force.
The week charter sail instruction is definately the way to go but you might also consider going with other people. It is a risk because they might be clods and you might be tempted to kill them but most people that are into sailing are pretty cool so you might meet some new friends.
When we did the first crewed charter just with the two of us and the two of them it was pretty strange. We were the customers and they were the boat owners and never the twain did meet. That is probably a boat specific thing but see if you can find some personal recomendations on the crew / instructor personality before you go.

sk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.