Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009

ChesaScott is on a distinguished road
Sailtime Annapolis

I signed up for a class at Annapolis sailtime for ASA basic sailing. Has anyone taken the class and have any comments on the class? I thought it would be nice for my wife and I to take a 2 person class.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Even though I have been a sailor for many years and my wife a power boater, we took the ASA 101 and 103 classes in Deltaville on our boat. It was great, my wife enjoyed me not "teaching" her and she helms far better than I. Our instructor was great as well. Now we work as a team and she has confidence to do things that were "my" job prior. It was a big success for both of us in running the boat.

You will have fun and learn a lot.

dave
Old 01-06-2009

ChesaScott is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply

That was what I was hoping for. I am looking for an activity that we can enjoy together and we both love the water... Living in this area, I am hoping that by having someone else teach the class, we can both grow in the learning and the love of sailing...
Old 01-06-2009

jimmd is on a distinguished road
know what you are getting

my son and i took asa101 in early (april) spring of 2007 and it was great to have a 2 person class. weather conditions forced our class from a 22 foot boat to a hunter 33. nice boat - nice class - great instructor.
since i had no intention of buying a 33 foot boat i went back to them to see if they could accomodate me for a few hours on the 22 foot as this was what the class was supposed to be taught on.
answer was no - you have already gotten your instruction, however if you would like to join....................
so i have mixed feelings - the class was good but the follow up service was poor. i had offered to pay extra for the time on the 22 as i realize that very little is given for free.
traded numerous emails until mine went unanswered.
Old 01-07-2009

Patient is on a distinguished road
This is great to hear, I am about to register for Sailtime myself. I am starting with the ASA 101 course but plan to do the full regiment if it fits well.

I have yet to find a post anywhere talking about a bad experience with Sailtime other than a few involving couples fighting throughout the course. (Ha!)

Thanks for the posts!
Old 01-09-2009
Sail Geek

duman311 is on a distinguished road
I read this thread on my phone and had to post once I got back to a PC. I am a current sailtime member.

My experience with sailtime has been very very good.

I have only last summer of sailing experience so far but am looking forward to more sailing this summer.

I took my ASA 101 training at a 'normal' sailing school down on the bay. It was a great experience and the instructor was great. The group of 4 of us all got plenty of time on the water, working the sails, docking, and piloting. I agree with Jim there that if you are primarily looking for a 22' boat learning on a 33 leaves a bit to be desired. The standard sail on a 22 and the 'feel' of the tiller is lost partially by the 33's wheel. Also the steps on just raising the main are totally different vs. a furling main. So if Jim wanted his wife to get training in that aspect not from him he lost out there.

That being said I know nothing on how Sailtime Annapolis is set up as to training. I would suspect that they have either a member that is a certified instructor or contract this training out for their members. But my opinion would be this. If you will be purchasing a sailboat, then Sailtime for training only, may not meet your needs due to the situation that Jim ran into. Sailtime is in the business to have members and they want their members to have access and use the boats they are paying for. So going back for extra training, even paid, would be a bit of a scheduling work out for them. It would either take time away from sailtime members or break up an ongoing class. That would be the only caveat I could think of around a Sailtime base is if you want to go back and practice your sailing with them that might not work out as you expect. But there are other places on the bay to rent a daysailer for a day at a reasonable price for practice.

I took my ASA 103 training via Sailtime with an instructor they provided in Havre De Grace. It was a standard course over 3 days. The instructor provided was outstanding. Very knowledgeable, very patient, and since I was the class I had maximum time to get comfortable with the systems on the boat, handling, docking, sailing, and also he provided excellent local knowledge of the waters where we will be sailing this summer.

Well we'll see how the family gets along with sailing this summer. Boating in general is new to two of our kids while our older children had 5 years on our old boat and loved it. Needless to say she is very happy to be back on the water as I am... The rest of the family we shall see...