Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009

practicum is on a distinguished road
Looking for a captain

Hi All,

Mi wife and I currently live in Washington DC. We both love water and fresh air and are seriously considering getting a sailboat and moving to southern Florida. I grew up on the river and have experience owning and operating a motor boat for a long time; I'm very good at handy work. We would like to try sailing and sailing life before we make a firm decision. Also, we want to learn directly from someone who is experienced in sailing and living aboard. We know about traditional sailing lessons, that is an option, but we prefer a more first hand experience. We are looking for someone who is willing to bring us with him/her on a small trip and share his/her knowledge with us. We are more that happy to cover the expenses of the trip and any other necessary things to make this happen. We would be traveling to Florida for about a week in March for this. I look forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
If I recall, a sailing instructor at Chesapeake Sailing School

Chesapeake Sailing School, learn to sail at the Chesapeake Bay's leading ASA affiliated sailing school in Annapolis, Maryland

Was a liveaboard and private lessons as you describe may be available.

They are located at Port Annapolis Marina.

Welcome to PortAnnapolis Marina

You could go lo-tech and place a notice at the office bulliten board.
Old 01-15-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Blue water sailing school in Ft Lauderdale will do this. If you charter a bareboat with captain/instructor for the week. I think many charter companies will do this as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 01-15-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
When you get to 10 posts you can send me a private message. If you are interested I live in Annapolis Md and am always available for day and evening sails in and around the Chesapeake. Bring your own snacks etc.
I own a 2007 Gemini 105mc catamaran, so I can't give you monohull specific experience, but I can and will let you experience the multihull difference.
You will convert to the light side of sailing afterwards, that is my only reward.

BTW, in my opinion paying even just the expenses of a boat skipper who is not licensed to operate (6 pack etc.) is not legal, it implies payment and therefore requires a license. If the skipper is licensed it implies payment and therefore the skipper has other legal responsibilities.
I don't let guest bring anything I don't provide in return (shared snacks etc) to ensure I stay within the law.
Old 01-15-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
practicum,

I'm local to DC. My boat is at Capital Yacht Club (42' sloop). Have the requisite experience (cruising and liveaboard) and licenses (100 ton Masters). Many years experience in Caribbean and East Coast Maine to Grenada, plus other parts of world. Currently do marine consulting and teaching.

Give a shout if I can help; would be happy to discuss. Email to: bill at wdsg dot com

Bill
Old 01-17-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
we were 20 year power boaters. we chartered a crewed charter in Florida for a week to verify that we did indeed want to switch to sail. that worked well and 2 years later we bought our sailboat. sailing isn't brain surgery but it does require certain skills and a desire to partake in all that
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My understanding is that guests are more than welcome to provide any and everything, provided it is not a requirement of sailing aboard the boat. It is the requirement aspect that makes it "payment". If you were to go out sailing with a bunch from sailnet, and C2 brought two cases of beer voluntarily, even if you provided nothing but a fast boat to sail on, you couldn't be found guilty of recieving a payment of beer, since it was voluntarily supplied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
BTW, in my opinion paying even just the expenses of a boat skipper who is not licensed to operate (6 pack etc.) is not legal, it implies payment and therefore requires a license. If the skipper is licensed it implies payment and therefore the skipper has other legal responsibilities.
I don't let guest bring anything I don't provide in return (shared snacks etc) to ensure I stay within the law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2009
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
2 Cases? Please! there wouldn't be any for anyone else!

I love
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My bad, I should have said TWO KEGS..... one for you and one for everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
2 Cases? Please! there wouldn't be any for anyone else!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
As a Licensed skipper who runs a occasional charter, Here's my understanding of how you can get in to trouble or stay out of trouble.

It is my understanding it is profit that gets you in trouble. I personally will never take cash if I am out for the day with a group of friends. If someone offers to help with the fuel costs then we head to the fuel dock, and I let him pay. However, you cannot take on 100 gal of fuel and only burn 5 gal for the day, that is profit.

Food, beverages, and etc. no problem as long as they are shared among the group. Again if you are given a $100 bottle of wine and it is unopened during the trip and you only have $25 in expenses for the day you have profited by $75.

Expense sharing is OK, Profit making, makes it a charter.

Never Forgotten