Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

ssneade will become famous soon enough
welcome to the sailing community. an interest in sailing is a start. i didn't get bitten by the bug 'til i was 26 myself, although i've been around water for most of my life. before moving to ga., i worked the water in the tangier sound, chesapeake bay area. yes, there are lots of marinas and schools of instruction i'm sure you could find plenty of takers for your offer. just remember, take pride in what task you are performing for them, for some may be quite menial and seem to offer no incentive towards your learning to sail. but part of sailing is knowing everything about your vessel, and what better way to learn than starting at the keel and working your way up. scraping barnacles is a suckie job at best, but somebody's gotta do it. also the suggestion of getting something small to start with is a good one. a small open cockpit with a jib and main would do the trick. practice, practice, practice. congratulations on your level of education and obtaining your pilots license . the pilots license i would like to obtain is the one that puts me behind a ships wheel. i'm terrified of gravity, although i've flown a few times. good luck, and once again welcome........
Old 01-25-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
My apologies to Severan for launching a tirade at a new guy.

Thanks for the classy comeback.

Good luck getting started.

Welcome to sailnet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2009

Davidrogerson is an unknown quantity at this point
Severan no need to justify yourself on wether you paid for your education or not, you asked for advice and most people have helped you out i agree that you should help out at a club for free lessons and advice.
Welcome to sailnet
Old 01-26-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Severan, by all means look for a racing team that's willing to let you sit on the rail for a couple of seasons while you learn the ropes. Or go to the public library and read everything you can about sailing, then go find a boat that's cheap enough to be considered "free", buy it, take it out on the water, and start praying.

If sailing is a skill you would consider valuable, you should be willing to pay a little bit to learn how to do it a little bit. Three days of lessons will go a long long way to kick-starting your sailing career, will make you more attractive to skippers looking for crew, and will probably cost less than a month's rent.

I would also reconsider your analyst job offers. Sailing lessons and a used 27' boat start to resemble "free stuff" when you start raking in a sizable salary (if you're a wise spender). Insist on a mariner's career and sailing will probably always be very expensive to you.
Old 02-06-2009

Salsipuedes is on a distinguished road
the only way i see you getting paid with zero experience is crewing. You dont need experience to crew on some boats. I met a girl from northern Canada who was vacationing in mexico, and when she was in La Paz, someone asked her to crew on their boat. she said yes and has been living on it ever since. The best way to learn is to find someone who really knows their stuff and start off with wind theory. points of sail. understand what you are dealing with before you get out in it.
i learned to sail when someone stuck me in a laser and said "go". i spend a lot of time in the water, needless to say. not the best way to learn, but a fast way to learn!
good luck. sailing is amazing and i encourage anyone and everyone to get into it.