SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Sea Sick (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/52012-sea-sick.html)

Jay2 03-01-2009 03:05 PM

Sea Sick

Please share your best sea sick remedies and preventions. How long does one get sick? Will it happen every trip?

I heard of a no fail device that goes on your wrist like a watch and sends electrical pulses to the 3 nerves in your wrist.

Selkirk 03-01-2009 03:15 PM

Seasickness varies a lot from person to person. I know people who have never been seasick.
But I have known others for whom there is no cure. When I was in the navy I watched a few people who never got over it, and I'm tellin' ya it was awful for them. The rest of us would get seasick, throw up and go on, but these few were just incapacitated.

I have seen no way to predict what will work for who, but I'm betting that most medications work.

Me? I get seasick, but nothing that knocks me out. I throw up for the first few days, then I'm better and it doesn't come back unless I am away from the sea for some months. Then I gotta start all over.

knothead 03-01-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2 (Post 456329)
Please share your best sea sick remedies and preventions. How long does one get sick? Will it happen every trip?

I heard of a no fail device that goes on your wrist like a watch and sends electrical pulses to the 3 nerves in your wrist.

Jay, I got one word for ya.

Drugs!

I had a big problem with ear infections when I was a little guy and I think that led to my lifelong problem with motion sickness.
I have literally tried everything.
In my opinion, Meclizine is the best remedy.

Meclizine consumer information from Drugs.com

It's the active ingredient in some of the more well known brands like Dramamine and Bonine.
One little orange flavored, chewable tablet a day. They only take about an hour to take effect but I usually take one the night before a trip. That way I'm not drowsy the next day.

Without drugs, my symptoms usually don't subside until I've been at sea for at least 5 to 7 days. But I am an extreme case. Most people I know only have to suffer for a few days.
But my philosophy is why suffer at all. There is nothing that ruins a nice sail quicker that seasickness.
I avoid it at all costs.

kredit 03-01-2009 03:23 PM

keep watch of the horizon. its all mental stuff and balance.it helps if your a libra!

Salsipuedes 03-01-2009 03:25 PM

helming is the best solution. once you're on the helm, you have a feeling for what the boat is going to do and you are looking at the horizon. never hang out below deck if you're seasick. also: hydrate!
the long, rolling waves are the worst conditions for seasickness, so if thats what you see when you're checking the weather and conditions, avoid it.

knothead 03-01-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kredit (Post 456338)
keep watch of the horizon. its all mental stuff and balance.it helps if your a libra!

Yeah right! I'm a Libra and it don't make no difference. Actually, for me, the symptoms subside when I lay on my back and close my eyes.
But I don't have to worry about that because..........

I take the DRUGS!:D

Jay2 03-01-2009 03:44 PM

How about kids, 6 years old. Are the drugs ok?

Great info, keep it coming.

citation34 03-01-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsipuedes (Post 456339)
helming is the best solution. once you're on the helm, you have a feeling for what the boat is going to do and you are looking at the horizon. never hang out below deck if you're seasick. also: hydrate!
the long, rolling waves are the worst conditions for seasickness, so if thats what you see when you're checking the weather and conditions, avoid it.

Helm. Works every time I get a victim on my boat.... I've also heard that one reason people (pirates?) wore eye patches is to remove sense of visual depth and that worked as a cure.

citation34 03-01-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2 (Post 456346)
How about kids, 6 years old. Are the drugs ok?

Great info, keep it coming.

Never do what the label says not to...:rolleyes:

PalmettoSailor 03-01-2009 04:20 PM

Don't they say the sure cure for sea sickness is standing under a tree? LOL.

Practical Sailor just published an article giving the results of a reader survey. The most highly rated drug (Stugeron forte) is not available in the US but can be ordered out of Canada. The other downside besides having to order from out of the country is that the product takes longer to work than others and you really need to start the night before departing. Also, be aware that there is a higher dose product for the treatment of blance disorders that is 5 times the recommended dose for seasickness (75mg). Despite this, the product was the most highly recommended among the many by a large margin.

Several of the products available in the US were rated as "effective" unfortunately, they left the user in no condition to stand a watch and those surveyed would not use them again or recommend them. In addition to drowsiness, several other, more worrisome side effects of Scapolamine patches have been discussed here on Sailnet, but according to PS they have the advantage of being effective even after the onset of seasickness which most other products don't.