Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure who decided or what authority the dog speaks from when he does . At my anchorage when there is an annoying dog barking we keelhaul hima bit until he quits.
\
Now that said, I must say that I too wondered the difference and "quality" of Us vs. ASA and the only difference I found that was apparent was the requirement of one to require their instructors be USCG captains. Please feel free to correct me as I am certainly no authority on the matter but AM interested in getting certified in each ! as I have been sailing for the past 30+ years and have only of late paid any attention to "instruction". I guess living and being raised on the water sailing and seamanship came as a natural and quite frankly is rather easy (see simple) There was always a love and interest but no real mistery !
I am however interested in getting my "Papers" as I would like to turn my lifestile into a vocation. What could be better than having someone pay me for doing what comes naturaly ? !!!
Currently studying for 100 ton Master USCG. My only regret is that I didn't think of it 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Joe,

Good luck with that license. I got one a couple of decades ago. If you have the time, and the tonnage, you'll be okay.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-01-2008

seb5thman is on a distinguished road
All hail the "dog"

I appreciated the information from the ASA Executive Director. Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to educate us on the two sailing associations. I'm sure you are busy and have more to do than put this site under a microscope to check out the date posts are entered. It's easy to criticize from a distance, behind the annominity of the pc, but the purpose of this site is to educate and share experiences with others. Too bad this turned from the positive experiences of a new sailor to apologizing for bad manners. Anybody that promotes proper "thread etiquette" and calls a professional sailor an idiot needs some "dog" obedience training.
Old 11-02-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
From observation, the only other slant I can offer here is that most of the USSA sailors I've run across tend to punch like girls. Hence, I'm thinking ASA in the spring.

PS - Dog, after researching some posts from 1987, I just saw that you came up through USSA. Hey - no offense, bud.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-02-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2010

svsugui is on a distinguished road
Today is the 4th of December, and I was researching differences between asa and us sailing. and I was glad the post was revived. Some points will always be "live", should always be "live". I wonder who's the idiot.

Whoops, I have waited almost four years to write this. I may get yelled at and called names...
Old 12-04-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
No yelling or name calling. I am neither ASA or USSailing.

What matters is the quality of instruction.

BTW people ask the same question about NAUI and PADI for dive instruction. I am SSI (formerly NASDS) certified. No problem.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-04-2011

dergon is on a distinguished road
Mix and Match Certs.

Just a bit more thread necromancy here.

mrs_dergon and I already have ASA 101/103/104/114 (that's Basic keelboat and bareboat charter + catamaran)....just enough to charter on vacation.

I would like to considering some of the more advanced courses.

Does it matter one bit if I now go over to a sailing school that uses USSA for its Coastal Nav., Coastal passage, celestial, etc?

Many of these courses are pre-reqs for the next. One USSA school will likely accept equivalent ASA courses as fulfilling prerequisites, yes?

Thanks

Last edited by dergon; 01-04-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2011

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Very interesting thread. It sounds like US Sailing or ASA course are pretty equivalent but I would be interested in the previous question of whether one program accepts the other program's equivalent courses as pre-requisites.

I am giving some thought to do one of the live aboard classes out of St. Petersburg, Florida.
Old 09-18-2011

nicktoday is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASACN View Post
Hey all,

I'm the Executive Director of the ASA, and wanted to throw in my 2 cents regarding ASA and US Sailing.

Certification, and the education and practice that goes with it, can be extremely valuable. It also evidences that you have achieved a given level of proficiency, which is helpful when chartering.

However, learning to sail and PRACTICING should be one's goal. Some people get certified and then don't go sailing. That's not the point. Certification means little if you learn in a week and don't get out on the water for a year or two. That's why diving facilities, for example, don't just ask "Are you PADI or NAUI certified," but "When is the last time you dove?"

ASA and US Sailing standards are nearly identical. Both systems have many excellent schools and instructors, and each system can claim "bragging rights" over the other in certain respects. US Sailing is the official amateur racing body for sailing in the US. ASA has more sailing schools in its network and was the first to introduce keelboat standards to the U.S. But the most important consideration is the quality of the particular school and instructor, not "which system is better."
I have to tell you that I found this thread from a search as I'm in the Tampa area and I'm trying to figure out what certification is better for me as it's a large investment and I wanted to ensure I was educated. To have someone that is a Executive Director respond to this thread with the classy answer you just gave speaks volumes to what I have found in this community so far.

I don't know which is better but at this point I'm going to continue to evaluate schools and instructors I connect with first - I just wanted to say thank you for your classy response.
Old 09-19-2011
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road
I've sailed with people from another US Sailing school, people from ASA, and even from Cal sailing club. The skills and terminology seem _very_ standard - same commands, same theories.

The real difference was the general clearheadedness of the person.

I think that the cert agency matters much less than the specific school and its instructors and gear, and the attentiveness of the student.

If you have lots of choices, look up yelp, talk to anyone you know who's been through the schools, and check out the programs in person.

I am pretty lucky to have a number of great schools in my area, so choosing was a matter of too many great choices. I based my choice on reputation, location, and the boats used in the classes.

There were other choices with better reputations but less variety in boats (BK and BC taught on the same boats), lower cost but farther away, cheaper but less great sailing area. There were a lot of trade-offs and options. If I didnt like the first course I took I would have switched schools.

Really the only thing that didn't really matter to me was the cert agency. US sailing and ASA seem to be very similarly respected worldwide.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.