Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2002

cfreund is on a distinguished road
ASA vs. US Sailing

I will be pursuing certification next summer and have begun to look for near by schools. It appears that one can be certified by US Sailing or American Sailing Assoc. Does it matter? Does one offer a better program than the other? When it comes to chartering, which cert. is more widely recognized ( hope to charter on the Great Lakes, East Coast and Caribbean in the years to come).
Thanks in advance, Chip-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road
ASA vs. US Sailing

Ahoy, cfreund. Both are good and are generally accepted. US Sailing probably carries a little more weight and prestige as they are the governing body of sailing in the U.S. Check their web site and you''ll see what I mean. I have US Sailing certifications and I''ve been happy with them and with US Sailing. If you go to Steve Colgate''s Offshore Sailing School in Tampa or Captiva Island, you will get your certifications through US Sailing.
Old 11-01-2002

acmecoyote is on a distinguished road
ASA vs. US Sailing

I do not know which is better if either. But I will be taking the ASA next weekend, November 9 & 10 and I can let you know. The same compnay will be offering the US class coming this summer as well as the ASA. But wil post again after I take the course ot let you know about it.

- gordon
Old 11-03-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
ASA vs. US Sailing

I completed the ASA Coastal Navigation and Basic Keelboat Classes 2 years ago. I enjoyed them both and think everyone should take a Navigation Class. Reading a book on sailing and going out a couple of times with someone knowledgable might get you as much as the basic sailing class, BUT I still recommend the class.

If you log some of your actual sailing time it might mean more to a charter company than what class you took (as long as you took one). I have never chartered, so that is just a guess.

Good luck,
Old 11-09-2002

ASA vs. US Sailing

Well Hurray today! i went to do the first day of my saling class and it was a blast. Tacked, Jibed, head of way, heeled the boat crusing the bay. It was so cool. Get to finish it all up tomorrow and do it again, ya ya ya! Anyway, just wanted to share with you all that I am doing the ASA course ant my instructor is also US approved. he claims it is not much difference at all. In fact most the exercises are the same in learning. Just a few minor differences in the book for doing things. But I spent 250 for myself and 250 for my cousin and we are being taught personally. Just the two of us. So we are getting plenty of time at the helm as well as being the crew. I have never done it before, and I can tell you right now, I could sail all over the bay just after today. Tomorrow comes and I will be soaring bove the water, heeling to and foe Pumping my blood with excitment and smiling at the people on land as I go through the channel

If anyone just thinks about sailing, they may wish to take either course. I think the best experience is going to come from teh teacher you have. But the knowledge you come away with is great. Giving yourself plenty of self-esteam if you will.

Enjoy saling and be safe.

- Gordon
Old 11-11-2002

ASA vs. US Sailing

YEE HAW! Fromt eh Galveston bay in Texas. I am a sailor! Oh what fun it is to sail in the open bay''s today he he he. Anyone that is interested in sailing I have to sail that the school is worth the money. You get great hands on eperience and they will help you to learn your faults. Mine was broad reach to a broad reach (doing a jib), but not no more. I did the ASA and feel it is worth every penny. To know the things I was doing wrong and makie sure they are right.

Good luck to one and all and enjoy the aquatic life.
Old 11-17-2002

ASA vs. US Sailing

Seems I have been the person to post the last couple of time here. Sorry to seem talkative about this. Just trying to help out the only way I am able to at the moment LOL.

But the simplist I can put about the course was that it lays down a great foundation for those that know nothing of sailing. For the rest of you, if you know the names of the parts of a boat (running rigging, standing rigging, about the hull, keel, stern, basic things) and know how to tack, jibe, heave to way, then you probably wont get much out of the class. And it seems that just that small bit is not much to learn, having someone show you makes a pretty big difference in book.

Good luck to you all....I know I am on my to to adventure.

- Gordon
Old 11-28-2002

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
ASA vs. US Sailing

I put the cart before the horse. I have sailed a 18'' hobie in the past and sailed once with a friend on a 21'' cruiser, but I bought a sailboat because I got a great deal and then went to learn how to sail. I read 2 books almost completely and then stepped my mast and wanted to get a feel for the running rigging. The next day I signed up for an ASA class. I thought I understood what I was reading but I wonder what would have happened my first time out without a knowledgeable sailor on board. If you don''t know someone who will be with you for the first 3-4 sails, I highly recommend not getting on the water without a class. It is not as easy as the book makes it out.

I also bought a sailing racing simulator on the internet from century 21 and it helps make sense out of the easing out sails versus trimming them in depending on the type run you are own.

Thanks,
Old 08-31-2007

ASACN is on a distinguished road
Hey all,

I'm the Executive Director of the ASA, and wanted to throw in my 2 cents regarding ASA and US Sailing.

Certification, and the education and practice that goes with it, can be extremely valuable. It also evidences that you have achieved a given level of proficiency, which is helpful when chartering.

However, learning to sail and PRACTICING should be one's goal. Some people get certified and then don't go sailing. That's not the point. Certification means little if you learn in a week and don't get out on the water for a year or two. That's why diving facilities, for example, don't just ask "Are you PADI or NAUI certified," but "When is the last time you dove?"

ASA and US Sailing standards are nearly identical. Both systems have many excellent schools and instructors, and each system can claim "bragging rights" over the other in certain respects. US Sailing is the official amateur racing body for sailing in the US. ASA has more sailing schools in its network and was the first to introduce keelboat standards to the U.S. But the most important consideration is the quality of the particular school and instructor, not "which system is better."
tbodine88 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ASACN For This Useful Post:
tbodine88 (1 Week Ago)
Old 08-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Any reason for reviving a thread that was dead for almost five years? Unless you're an idiot...it is generally considered poor net etiquette to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.