Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You can do all these things to keep the boat from heeling too much. I am surprised no one as of yet has suggested adding at least one more hull ? Of course it would be like sailing a barge, and won't go to windward, but it will be flat! .......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2009

petmac is on a distinguished road
I like to bury the rail. My wife took this last Sunday while she was reading down below.

Photobucket
Old 06-24-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Another Option

This thread reminds me of an experience I had. I had a neighbor that I took out on my Chrysler 22 back when i had it. He had a good time. He was an interesting, tough guy ex-marine MP, had been a private investigator and had just got his PHD and was teaching at the local University.

I moved to another place a little later. He called me a few months later, he had bought his own boat a 30 footer. We went out with him and his girlfriend. He talked about the work he had done and the plans to move aboard soon. I was impressed he was hooked on sailing. We sailed around a bit and I asked to steer to see how a boat that size felt. I started to head up and bring in the sails. They both started getting fidgety and he asked to take back the helm. He immediately fell off the wind and eased the sails. He explained they did not like the boat when it leaned over. I asked how did he plan on getting back to the marina. He said "with the motor". So another option is to sail only downwind and fire up the motor for the upwind legs.

Last edited by jephotog; 06-24-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: bad gramar
Old 06-24-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by J36ZT View Post
As far as the yelling captain goes... That's not me! If you're always yelling at people, when will they know when things are seriously going bad

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Great comment!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-24-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmac View Post
I like to bury the rail. My wife took this last Sunday while she was reading down below.

Photobucket
Good way to lose a perfectly good winch handle........
Old 06-24-2009

petmac is on a distinguished road
Trust me, I was out there with it. Besides,thats why I buy the plastic ones that float.
Old 06-25-2009

christmasisland is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausap View Post
I recommend staying within your comfort level with small excursions outside your comfort level a little at a time to increase your "envelope" of comfort.
Excellent advice - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
if you have one special person you really love being with - sail it the way she likes.
I like sailing with her ... we'll slowly work ourselves into situations that require more coordination, patience and trust. She loves being out but is not as interested in the physical act of sailing as I am. She is learning as I learn because we want to visit distant places and we need to trust each other. I will limit heeling to 20 degrees because anything above this is usually inefficient and uncomfortable. Thanks ALL for the wonderful advice and fun stories ... I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
race reef early.
What is a race reef?
Old 06-25-2009

BrightWolf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BrightWolf
I have learned so much from this thread!
Old 06-25-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Freesail: look closer. That's a locking winch handle.

The Tanzer22 is a slightly old-fashioned hull with soft bilges -- roly poly, but insanely stable. It weighs ~1000# more than the Catalina22 and twice as much as our SJ21; most of that weight is ballast (45-48% ballast ratio!!!). Short of a massive breaking wave on the beam, you will never capsize that boat. The spars & rigging are oversized, the hull stout ... it's a brute. But no slug for all that weight in the keel (PHRF 237). It carries lots of sail to move that weight; best way to stand the boat upright on breezy days is to stick with the working jib (100%er) and leave the dock with a reef (or two) in the main. Get used to the boat in low-power mode, then add sail area as your comfort increases.

Heeling is scary until you've done it for a month or two of regular sailing. Then it's fun. A little while later, a sloped deck becomes your new normal. Having the most-nervous crew helm or share the tiller is one way to overcome the fear. A calm, smiling skipper is another. We took our little SJ21 out in 40 knots (flat water), and I could see my girlfriend inspecting my face for anxiety. If it were there, she would not have enjoyed the day. I knew the boat was fine: the tiller was alive but not loading up, the reefed main taut but not groaning ... and I giggled every time a pile of cold spray came flying over the decks or the rail started running foam. She took her cue from that and settled right in.

First time out in the keelboat each season, I'll admit to nervousness when the boat really lays over. A day in the Buccaneer18 racing dink cures that, tho. Dinghy sailing is a fabulous way to get used to heeling, rounding up, even capsizing. Everything happens faster on a small boat, and it's a nice place to learn the reflexes that will serve you on larger ones. Dump it? No biggie. But you'll learn how far you can push it before it goes, and where the ideal heel angles lie. If you can get out in dinghies -- Zumas, 420s, lasers, El Toros, even Sunfish -- do. His and hers. Play tag, hold mini races, practice synchronized tacking, just play around on some protected body of water. When you get back in a ballasted boat, it'll feel like a battleship and the anxieties will be gone.

Last edited by bobmcgov; 06-25-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2009

christmasisland is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
most of that weight is ballast (45-48% ballast ratio!!!). Short of a massive breaking wave on the beam, you will never capsize that boat.
My T22 has a centerboard ... rare but true. I have switched to the working jib ... the pre-reef is a new idea, thanks.