SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Learning in West Michigan

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tylax6 
#1 ·
I live in west michigan by lake macatawa and am wanting to learn to sail for a while now, im 23 now and out of collage and want to buy a smaller boat to learn before stepping up to a bigger livable one.

I know i could take classes and what not, but i know i can learn easy, im reading a lot and watching videos, but would like to get out on the water with someone to see what its really like, i havent been out for years now.

If anyone can, or knows someone in the area who is willing to help a young man learn to sail let me know i would really appreciate it...otherwise i might just get one and head out and figure it out on my own?

Thanks in advance!
Ty

#2 ·
ty- Not unlike you, I have been reading and watching for quite some time now. It seems that every spare second is spent thinking of boats and boating in some way or another. Mine has been a 10 year sickness, with the last 3 being full time. LOL
Just my opinion, but what three years of sleepless nights on the computer comparing boats and prices= Chrystler 22
The average cost of these older chryslers are around Four grand and everything that I have read seems to be favorable. Quick, handling and can stay the weekend.(those were my criteria)
But as far as going it alone!? Silly! You dont have to go it alone. There are many people out there who sail. This web site is a good start.
But if you buy the boat, they will come!

#3 ·
I learned to sail by buying a Hunter 22 with my dad and heading out to the big lake. My experience is that it's about the best way to learn.

Having said that, the Macatawa Bay Yacht Club is convenient and they do a number of courses as well as races. Crewing on another person's boat is a cheap way to get started.

If you're interested, the Hunter 22 is in my dad's garage in Wayland and is for sale. There's a brand new autopilot and 4 stroke Yamaha outboard. PM me if you'd like to have a look.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses, i actually bought a bout a while ago, I got a 15'5 Snipe sailboat. Got a heck of a deal on it with 3 sails. Its a little older but a great starter boat that if i wanna race it i can too. I will get some pics on here sometime.

Unfortunately, as i was shopping for boats I had some back surgery and may have to have another one in a few weeks, lets just say all the motocross, and extreme sports all my life is catching up to me.

I am happy that i have a boat that is all ready to go next year though and i wont have to do any shopping anymore!

#7 ·
yea the guy i bought it from had 7 sailboats, 3 snipes so he knew his stuff and raced it. He told me it could capsize too so be careful.

but hey, live and learn right, it will keep me on my toes i guess..not i just cant wait till next summer to get out there and learn! BACK SURGERY SUCKS

#8 ·
Sounds like you are starting our right and with a sound plan.
Sorry to hear about the back, ouch.
FYI, we sail out of Eldean's, there is a young group of sailors also out of Eldean's that recently purchased a 30' something Hunter. They were all recent Grads as well. Their goal I believe is to one day sail the Caribbean. You might want to look them up, you can find them on Face Book and they have their own web page.<O:p</O:p
Good Luck to you. Give us a shout if you have recovered form your surgery before the ice hits.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p</O:p

Login | Facebook

Sailing "Three Degrees" - Home

#9 ·
Three Degrees!

I stumbled on this thread while checking the stats for the three degrees website. Tylax, get a hold of us sometime and we can go out and sail. We are all your age. We are getting ready to start some serious projects in preparation for our Caribbean trip so we don't know how much sailing we will be doing. That was cool to see our website posted on here !!!

Happy sailing!

#10 ·
sailortjk1, wow that is really cool, i looked at their website and its inspiring, i have some of the same dreams of doing that. Someday i wanna live on a boat and travel all over...and I WILL do it.

Im going to get them on facebook and i would love to talk to them about it!

And i hope that i can heal up before the ice hits but I find out today what the MRI shows and im looking at another surgery at the end on september and then recover till december or later so ts not looking good, but i have 4-5 sailing books i just purchased that i can learn all about it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.