Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009

yippeekayay is on a distinguished road
Keels are Killing me

Just wanted to know the difference between a shoal keel, fixed keel, swing keel, and a fin keel. If you could please explain the strengths and weaknesses.

Thank you

Brandon in Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009

Ogrenaut is on a distinguished road
We have a Bristol 32 with a swing keel. Our draft with the centerboard up is 3' 6". With the centerboard down we draw over 7'. Bristol 32s with a fixed keel draw 4' 7". On the positive side, we can navigate shallower water. A plus on the Chesapeake Bay. The weaknesses include having to raise and lower the centerboard via a cable running to the cockpit, a slightly slower boat, and more parts to care for (we're having our centerboard cable tube replaced now due to a failure in a previous repair).

My limited experience is that fin keels and wing keels are better for racing because they concentrate the ballast deeper in the water and closer to the center of the boat. I believe Sabres and Persons use fin keels and wing keels.

Shoal keels, as the name implies, provide a shallower draft to better navigate shoals. Most I've seen are full keels, running all the way to the stern. These keels tend to be better for cruising. Bristol 32 and Tayana 37 are good examples of full keels.

Take a walk around your local yacht clubs on a weekend and I'm sure many sailors would love to talk to you the strengths and weaknesses of their keels.
1972 Bristol 32, #64
"Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing to attempt."
Shakespeare
Old 07-22-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Hey there Brandon,

There's a pretty good little book 'A Field Guide To SAILBOATS' by Richard M. Sherwood (in it's second edition) that explains and illustrates different types of keels on different types of boats. Drawings of everything from dinghies to full blown cruisers and their specifications. Compact little book you can probably check out at the library.

Another one that should really be on any sailors book shelf is 'The Annapolis Book of Seamanship' by John Rousmaniere. Great reference.
Old 07-22-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Try this thread...Decription of hull/keel types

A fixed keel is ANY keel that is permanently a part of the boat and does not move. Everything else is described in the thread.
Old 07-23-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Killer Keels?? Oh my!

I actually looked at the thread to see how keels could possibly be killing you! When the fixed keel becomes unfixed...THEN it might kill you. (which brings up encapsulated keels*). Until then, the thread title is a little non descript and over the top IMO. How about "Info on keel types"? BTW...If you think keels are confusing, wait until you discover the rest of the boat Oh...and you might want to stay from under the boat when it's on a Travel lift! You could be killed by a Keel (and the boat sitting on top of it) there for sure (or wish you had)!
*Encapsulated keels are molded into the boat and don't rely on bolts to to attach the keel to the boat. (The only relevant info in this whole rant! )
Old 07-23-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Well thanks L124C. Now I understand what a Cold Blooded (moulded) 'Keeler' is. A nasty piece of work by the sound of it!