SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I want to learn to sail.

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sarafinadh 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm 24 years old, going on 25, and I'm going to retire in 25 years. When I do my house will be paid off and I'll have a large amount of money saved. I want to learn to sail by then and I want to buy a boat to sail the west coast and to Hawaii whenever I want. what kind of classes and training do I need in the mean time? What is the best boat for a 2-4 man crew? What kind of prices would I be looking at? I was thinking of a 40 footer. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
there's probably Wednesday night races in your area..
sit on the dock and watch and drink beer.. talk to the nice people with horns and flags and be extra nice to the guy with the shotgun..
after a few weeks tell them you'd like to ride on a boat, they're your friends by now, and they'll announce it over the radio. someone will pick you up in the next couple of weeks...
that person (or their friends) will answer all of your questions.

took me 6 weeks sitting on the dock.. the shotgun guy drinks PBR.

#3 ·
Or simply take lessons. If you have thin skin, learning to sail on a boat that is in competition may not be for you. Instructors will be much nicer, because you are paying them, and they have to answer to their boss. They will also have time to answer your questions.

Once you have an idea how a boat functions. Then jump into the competition. There's a lot you can refine from sailing in competition. Racers go the extra mile to get everything tuned as well as possible........i2f

#4 ·
Go for it

Great plan. Enjoy now. I ran a sailing school for 10 yrs. Sailing is simple and logical. Take what you know and use it. If it doesn't look right or feel right it isn't. There are many Learn to Sail courses available. Take a weekend or week's course to start that has you in the boat doing hands on learning. Go down to your local yacht club and walk the dock on a race night and ask to crew. You'll start as rail meat. Watch and listen and learn. Soon you will have new friends and boats to practice your skills aboard. It is great life. Go for it. Capt Marty 800-419-6403

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.