Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009

labjt is on a distinguished road
learn to sail bareboat...

My friend and our wives are looking to learn to sail. The long term hope and plan is to be able to charter and take sailing vacation wherever it is we feel like going. Really, my buddy and I are the ones that really want to learn. If the girls pick some things up along the way, all the better. What would be the best way of going about this where we would become competent bareboat charterers? I have look into doing live aboard combo courses with sailing schools, the problem is that for our wives to come along most charge just as much for them whether they are getting certification or not. (unless someone here knows a school that doesn’t charge as much for “ride alongs” Really, I don’t so much care about certification, but I do want to be able to charter boats wherever I go, so whatever I need to do I’ll do it. The reason we considered a live aboard combo course is because it would kind of give a learning vacation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope this was not too confusing. If I can clear anything up, let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Where are you?

A live aboard cruise and learn with the spouses can work. I have done some these as skippered charters. You charter the boat, pay for provisions, moorage, fuel, etc.. Then hire an instructor who you pay directly. This might be a savings.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-27-2009

labjt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Where are you?
I am located in NE Louisiana. We are willing to go to whereever needed within reason.
Old 08-30-2009

captainbr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Learning to bareboat

I agree with Jack. There may be some savings in chartering a boat and hiring an instructor directly. I have been teaching couples on five day live-aboard courses for 30 years. It makes a great holiday and you really learn what cruising can be like. I believe it is vital that the spouses learn as well. I have had many wives who are worried what will happen if the husband gets injured and she does not know how to handle the boat. I have taught a number of women-only courses. They just wanted to learn away from their husbands. Kind of like teaching your wife or child how to drive!

CYA Coastal Yachtmaster
Cruising & Powerboat Instructor Evaluator
Old 08-31-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
You could charter a boat with a captain to go along for all or part of the trip to give you some instruction. In our case, I'm sure something could be worked out with the sailing school here to have it count toward certification. I would think most other charter companies would be able/willing to set up something similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 08-31-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I do not want to sound self-servicing, but I would suggest using an instructor as a captain. Many experienced sailors find what they are doing comes naturally. Instructors have to engage in reflective practice to be able to analyze their skills and knowledge to able to impart that to others. As an example when teaching knots, I have spent considerable watching my own hands and learning what to describe what my fingers and hands are doing to each step.

I have learned never to say "this is easy.", because it is not.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-31-2009
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
You might call some of the sailing schools directly and see what they offer. I know that last spring Offshore Sailing school was pretty willing to work out arrangements when we wanted to bring our two teenage sons along on a week long course, and there were two other schools that were also willing to make accommodations without paying much. Try some of the Caribbean locations, particularly in the fall or early winter (off-peak). There are also a number of charters with captains licensed to teach, and only charge the training cost for those getting certification. I had looked into one such arrangement through a broker (Hamilton) who gave me several different options, for little more than the cost of chartering the boat. Just get references, since a bad week aboard may hurt your chances of ever getting the women back on a boat. The advantage of certificates is to prove to someone else that you at least have the training.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 09-12-2009

kootenay is on a distinguished road
Having just gone through that process in the past year can I suggest Offshore sailing's Fast track to Cruising. Its a 10 day course beginning on Colgate 26's morning sail followed by a lecture and free for most of the afternoon. Then 6 days on a 40-50 ft boat with the instructor. The last day away you go on your own. I would suggest after you complete the course that you then charter for one week in the same area you took the course to relax and let the lessons sink in It gives you three US Sail certification up to Bare boat and qualifies you to rent a bare boat with all of the suppliers in limited areas based on your experience. Eg baja, Tortola etc. Offshore offers the courses in Tortola and Florida. Sailing Schools, Catamaran Sailing Schools, Sailing Vacations, Sailing Lessons

Enjoy we did.
Old 09-14-2009
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
How about taking the course in Mex, "Learn to Sail in San Carlos Mexico"
Great people, think you will find that they will be willing and able to set up about any kind/length of course you would want. They can also give you the exposure to small mono to 40' tri, and you can do a "live aboard" on the 41' OI, while you are taking the course. However you decide to go, think you will find that most of the smaller ASA schools will be willing to work with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-17-2009
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road
San Diego Sailing Academy thoughts?

I'm in a similar boat as the OP, difference being my wife wants to get certified also. San Diego Sailing Academy sounds perfect for our needs just would like a little more feedback from satisfied customers before I make the plunge.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.