Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
many vangs can be used as preventers. mine will work that way if unhooked from the fitting at the base of the mast and led forward instead. I have enough line on it to reach from the attachment point at the front of the boat back to the cockpit so it can be untensioned from there if need be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2009

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
Ok.. I know the fitting you are talking about, but I wonder if I have another one in front of the mast. Hmm.

But I do know that I have plenty of line to fully extend the boom perpendiculur to the boat. In that case. If I have that fitting in the front, I should connect and then tighten the line to keep the boom perpendiculur?
Sounds like a cool concept.
Old 09-02-2009

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
SpcAlan1,
For a preventer on my Catalina 25, I keep a carabiner (a shackle would do) attached to the end of my boom to give me a nice, big loop I can hook onto. Before I let the boom all the way out on a downwind run, I clip the end of a long length of some parachute cord I keep in the aft starboard locker.
After the boom is let out, I'll walk the preventer up to a forward stanchion and loop it under a support brace, then walk it back to the cockpit and cleat it.
I like using parachute cord because it's stretchy--a good thing for a preventer--and it's bright chartreuse and hard to miss and trip over. Also, it's light enough to do the job but it WILL break in the event of a knockdown, thus releasing the boom from the water--also a good thing.
As to the headsail, I find that the C25's mainsail often blankets the (roller-furled) genoa downwind, so I like to use a lightweight whisker pole, even when not running wing-on-wing.
Here's a concise video from pole-maker Forespar on using a whisker pole: Seafaring Magazine –Latitudes and Attitudes Television | Seafaring
Old 09-02-2009

Well I am going to try that, but you just wrap the line around the stanchions?
Hmm, seems that would put stress on those. I wonder if I could move up one of my sliding blocks forward of the mast and "back-feed" it?

Hmm. Looks like I am going to the boat this afternoon and seeing what I can do.

Great idea....
Old 09-02-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Hm. I found wing-on-wing trickiest in light air. Jib is most likely to collapse. Any speed you get means your apparent wind drops to zero. I think it's better to broad reach and jibe in winds under 5 kt, which takes advantage of the apparent wind coming forward better. In 5-10 I can maintain wing-on-wing much more easily.

Like US27, I'll often sail by the lee ever so slightly, since in reality the wind is still behind the line of the boom. Too much and you put the jib in the main's lee. Not enough and the wind is on the wrong side of the jib. If the jib collapses, I let the sheet out a bit. If it luffs or "folds" on itself I trim it in.
Old 09-03-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We sail by-the-lee when wing-on-wing too.. it's really the only way to prevent constant collapsing of the headsail, esp without a whisker pole. In a good breeze going DDW wing-on-wing doesn't really give up much to a similar boat flying a spinnaker on the same heading. But it's nerve racking steering so tightly to avoid a gybe. We prefer to fly the spinnaker (up to a point) for that reason.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-03-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We sail by-the-lee when wing-on-wing too.. it's really the only way to prevent constant collapsing of the headsail, esp without a whisker pole. In a good breeze going DDW wing-on-wing doesn't really give up much to a similar boat flying a spinnaker on the same heading. But it's nerve racking steering so tightly to avoid a gybe. We prefer to fly the spinnaker (up to a point) for that reason.
A couple of weeks ago while racing on my friends Ranger 22, we did a little wing-on-wing-on-wing. The wind was howling, and we didn't want to get broached with the spin. We also didn't want to have our ass handed to us by just flying the 90% blade downwind. There is certainly not enough time to do a headsail change, then do it again at the downwind mark, so we were in a pickle. So I moved the spin pole downhaul out to the bow, then I clipped on the tack of the old worn out 150 we refer to as "the bedsheet". I hoisted the 150 using the spin halyard without hanking it on, and ran the sheet back to the spin blocks at the stern. The result was flying 2 headsails plus the main, and going more than a knot over hull speed for the downwind leg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-03-2009

bheintz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
I wonder if I could move up one of my sliding blocks forward of the mast and "back-feed" it?
Yes, this is a good idea. The idea is something simple attached to strong points on the boom and the deck.

Also see:
Boom Brakes & Preventers - World Cruising and Sailing Forums
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship/1511-boom-preventer-not.html
Boom Vangs and Preventers - resources for cruising sailors
YouTube - Setting up a preventer to control the boom on a sailboat
YouTube - Rigging a Boom Preventer with a Shockle
Old 09-03-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
....The result was flying 2 headsails plus the main, and going more than a knot over hull speed for the downwind leg.
And nobody protested you for that? Not sure it's strictly legal, nor is your rating likely to reflect that sail area.....

But as you saw, it works well...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-03-2009

Hmm.. flying 2 head sails...
I wonder if I could do that...

I don't think so, since I have only 1 halyard ( and that is my roller ).