Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
And nobody protested you for that? Not sure it's strictly legal, nor is your rating likely to reflect that sail area.....

But as you saw, it works well...
We discussed the legality before putting it up. The consensus was that we wouldn't be protested for flying a spin but not taking down the jib, so what's the difference. We're the slowest boat in the fleet anyway, and the rest of the fleet had their hands too full with their own boat (many broaches that day) to look back at what we were doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2009

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Racing with twin headsails is generally prohibited, unless the sailing instructions for the particular race expressly allow them, but, if you're not racing and don't have a spinnaker, it's a good way to get downwind in a hurry. You'd think the boat would get squirrelly with that much sail up in a breeze, but it's surprisingly stable. If there's enough wind, you can even get by without a pole. If you'll trim the one opposite the boom a little bit further aft, it will stay filled most of the time.

SpcAlan1, it's very easy to add an extra jib or spinnaker halyard to a Catalina 25, and it's a good thing to have. All you need is to add a cleat to your mast, a snatch block, a piece of line and one or two shackles.
Old 09-03-2009

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
Would I have to take my mast down to add a new halyard? ( I would expect so ).

I have a 150 Genoa. What would I benefit from using it and another sail at the same time.

My Catalina would look like a pirate ship with 3 sails, hahaha
Old 09-03-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
You might not have to take your mast down to add spinnaker halyard gear at the masthead. The tail of the halyard runs up the front of the mast through a fairlead to a block perched several inches forward of the masthead. If it's anything like the masthead on my Catalina 27 (and my impression is that a lot of the rigging is the same or similar), your masthead will already be designed to accept a spinnaker halyard block:

If that's the case you can go up in the bosun's chair to add the block and fairlead.

Got any pictures of your masthead?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.