SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Stupid question... or not? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/57751-stupid-question-not.html)

samurai6 09-04-2009 11:58 PM

Stupid question... or not?

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster here. I'll have to say that this is one of the most helpful communities I have come across!

I am the proud new owner of a '95 Catalina 250. I was looking for a trailerable boat to learn on, and this one came up. Let's just say that it's a buyer's market right now, and I got a deal I couldn't refuse! :D

Anyway, I'm getting her fitted out, and have arranged for dry storage near a launch ramp (about a mile away) on Lake Mead near Las Vegas, where I'll be sailing her.

Then I had a thought:

Since the boat is close to the launch, and there are no overhead obstructions or power lines nearby, can the mast be left up for the short trip to and from the dry storage area? This would save a great deal of time during launch/retrieval, but of course, I do not want to run the risk of damaging or weakening anything.

I have searched high and low for an answer to this, and came up with two conclusions: either people are not usually in this situation, or it's a downright stupid idea :laugher

So what do you all think?

Izzy1414 09-05-2009 12:47 AM

Samurai,

The small lake we sail on has a dry storage adjacent to the boat ramp and we leave our mast up but it involves trailering only a few hundred yards at most. All the trailerables that are stored there leave their masts up. There would probably be nothing inherently wrong with slowly and carefully trailering longer distances given proper clearances and road surfaces but if you go on any public highway you will be subject to any and all size restrictions and you will most likely be far over the legal height.

lapworth 09-05-2009 08:29 AM

If you can sail at 20knts why can't you drive at 20knts? I wouldn't drive by the police.

RIYachtBroker 09-05-2009 09:48 AM

Nothing but downside that I can see. What if an animal darts in front of you and you have to stop short and the mast whips......

Why take the chance for the sake of saving a couple of hours? Leave earlier.

MorganPaul 09-05-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIYachtBroker (Post 520085)
Nothing but downside that I can see. What if an animal darts in front of you and you have to stop short and the mast whips......

Why take the chance for the sake of saving a couple of hours? Leave earlier.

You should never jam on your brakes or swerve to avoid hitting an animal. I say go for it. Give it a try.

samurai6 09-05-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapworth (Post 520075)
If you can sail at 20knts why can't you drive at 20knts? I wouldn't drive by the police.

That's kind of what I was figuring...

Since Lake Mead and the dry storage area I'll be keeping the boat in is on national park land, I think it'll be a conversation with the park rangers as far as the legality of it.

Thanks for the replies!! :)

ericread 09-05-2009 07:28 PM

I lived in Las Vegas for over 20 years and remember significant windstorms from time to time over at Lake Mead. This included 60-70 MPH winds during severe thunderstorms. Just keep this in mind while your boat is in storage.

Eric