SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The perfect Sailing Song

21K views 101 replies 39 participants last post by  ianjk 
#1 ·
Ok, I''m preparing for my maiden voyage as a captain of my own boat. I''ve finished installing a CD player and after anchoring I''d like some nice tunes. Other than the oldie Goldie "Sailing" by Christopher Cross, what songs capture the perfect afternoon sailing. Just curious what the opinions are. My second choice would probably be Jimmy Buffett.

#30 ·
Wonderful posts, thank you. Since I have everything that Jimmy Buffet made, I''m going with the other 8 requests. I''ll take it to winmax.com and make me a maiden voyage CD. Make sure to help me on my next post. Within safe operating limits of course, what is the best adult beverage to enjoy a sail with?

#33 ·
It has nothing to do with margaritas, his music is terrible. I never get seasick and on a passage last year I started feeling bad. I heard something down below and at the beginging of the trip I mentioned I am kool with anything except Jimmy Buffet and Phil Collins. I was on watch and on of my mates had slipped it in. I swear once it was stopped I started feeling better. On a trip I just got back on ,again the same thing happened on one of our legs. This time the whole cd played . I thought it was Buffet but the other guy was cooking so I didnt stick my head below. The wind and seas were picking up and I thought well maybe its because I havent been offshore in a while and this was our first leg. Once I went below for chow my ears started screaming and I immeadiately ran back into the cockpit and started puking my guts out like I have never before. This has happened twice so I can only come to the conclusion that Jimmy Buffet causes seasickness.-thomas

#35 ·
I can only take Buffett in small doses myself...usually after I''ve had a glass of wine or two also. You''re right, it''s nice that we all have different tastes...
So have a safe trip and don''t forget that "syrup"...just in case you don''t get sailing, you''ll be sure to have something else fun to do
Merry Christmas all!
bobbi

#37 ·
Yep, Duane hit the nail with his head on this one -- to each his/her own. Or as I remind myself all the time looking at boats other people buy, "There''s no accounting for taste."

#38 ·
Yea, well just wait ''till Jimmy goes up (or down ''pendin'' on yer view) to visit ol'' Gerry! He''ll be a sailing martyr then and we''ll never get away from it!

Tom. If it comes up round and furry, swallow it back down! It''s yer butt hole!

Pi

#49 ·
Sorry 73, but I believe you''re showing your age a bit with the mentioned "Rock" tunes.Don''t get me wrong, they''re all great tunes, but to be considered "Rock" now a days, tunes need to be capable of providing some "head banging", or at least some "Hip-Hopping", don''t they? ;^) I''m with you my brother, but my 14 year old daughter asked me,"A Grand Funk.... what?" ha!ha! One more "easy listening sailing tune worthy of this list: "Cool Change" - Little River Band

#50 ·
DuaneIsing:
I think you hit on a good one there. Before I learned a few sailing terms I had no idea what Crosby, Stills and Nash were talking about in "Southern Cross". The whole first stanza is nothing but sailing.

Isn''t the souther cross a celestial point of reference for navigation?

See ya

#51 ·
Of course....if you could afford a boat that had "80 feet at the waterline"....you could just hire someone to know the terms. *Grin*

Though not really a "sailing song", for me there''s nothing like having the sails well set, just a touch on the tiller, and listening to the "Canon in D Major". Or, alternatively, Suzzy Boggus''s "Music on the Wind", ''cause that''s what it feels like with the sails full and drawing well.

Fair winds
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.