Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2002

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
The perfect sailing beverage

You were so helpful on the perfect song, what is the perfect sailing adult beverage?
(Small print: Remembering of course that .08 is the legal limit in Coast Guard Waters.)

My initial vote is a nice cabernet, maybe a Far Niente since it''s the maiden voyage. Then again maybe just a Bailey''s Irish Cream warmed with a little hot chocolate for the cold winter.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

I restrain myself underway, but at anchor when all is under control, I like Mount Gay Barbados rum straight over ice. When it''s chilly, I leave out the ice and sip it like cognac.

I love wine, too, but it''s pretty darned expensive in the Caribbean.

Duane
Old 12-18-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

Like Duane, I don''t imbibe while underway. At anchor or in the slip, it all depends. Sunset and some snacks can call for anything from a beer, to Mt. Gay and tonic (with lime), to champagne. I have been known to fire up an Irish coffee after dinner, too. Whatever suits my mood in other words.
Old 12-18-2002

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

I’m a fan of canned sodas. “Tonic” we call it here in the Northeast. The cans store well in the 12 pack cubes. When they’re empty, they crush up and store with minimal space. I keep them well into the bilge where they remain cool and a few of them go into the icebox for later.

Ah… Later! Yes, I’ll vote for Mount Gay Barbados Rum as well! I pull one of those cold cans of Coke from the icebox, only real Coke will do here, and take a swallow off the top. Into this pours an appropriate serving of the rum and I’ll add a slice of lime should I have any aboard. Now, here’s the secret. This should only be stirred with a well-used marlinespike. No, no, not for any of that macho sailor crap, it’s because it’s the only thing handy that will fit inside that opening o’ the can!

This system serves a couple more hidden purposes: You see, the more you drink, the more intoxicated you get, the tougher it becomes to pour the rum through the can opening. Also, in a seaway, the task is next to impossible! This boils down to keeping you from drinking when you shouldn’t!

Now, one should always remember the following custom for opening a new bottle of rum aboard. The skipper of the boat stands on the foredeck, facing aft, and opens the bottle. Holding his thumb slightly over the opening, he sprays some in the air and says: “Here’s to the wind”! Next, he pours a shot over the side to: “And here is to the sea”! Now, he pours a line across the foredeck saying: ”Here is to my boat”! And lastly: “And here is to me”! I don’t have to tell ya’ where to pour that dollop!

Okay. I tink we’ve gut it, by Gar! All this talk about sailin’ music and boat drinks! I need a Spinnaker Fix!
Old 12-18-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Glad to see there are some other fans of the Mt. Gay distillery here.

SailorMitch didn''t mention wine, except the champagne, but I wonder if he favors any vin blanc from that famous region in France: SailKotes du Rhone?

I hear it protects your esophogas when drinking straight rum. ;-)

Duane
Old 12-18-2002

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

yesterday it was syrup over my body...today it''s wine IN my body...I like the way you guys think...geez, I''m ready for some sailing...and then a good glass of wine in the slip...
Old 12-18-2002

hamiam is on a distinguished road

A real Dark and Stormy made with Gosling''s Black Seal Rum, Barrett''s Ginger BEER, and a slice of lemon or lime.
Old 12-19-2002

ronbuckles is on a distinguished road

Coffee. Colombian, fresh ground, maybe with some milk. Does not get better.
Old 12-19-2002

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

While underway - Water. Clean fresh-water.

Once anchored, moored or docked, any libation is better than none. Cheers!

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 01-01-2003

jcmannone is on a distinguished road

After your ship is secured for the evening, the choice of libation does indeed depend on your mood.

I''ve been reading about the 18th century Royal Navy and the drinks their sailors enjoyed. Though the captain often had fine cognac, the crew were often issued beer or grog. From my understanding, grog was diluted rum.

So, during this time of year I make a "nog grog". A good quality egg nog is added to Barbados Rum and Napolean Brandy (2:1 or 1:1) and topped with freshly grated nutmeg.

Simply as a curiosity, Dry Creek wines have beautiful pictures of large sailboats on their labels- much prettier than the wine is good.

I pilot a different kind of ship right now, an airplane, but researching various forums for information on 18th century rowboats and sailing warships has gotten me excited about getting into sailing (maybe someone knows a sailing club in East Tennessee).

Finally, on a sober note, we private pilots have a simple rule concerning alcohol: 12 hours from bottle to throttle (which I extend to 24 for strong drink).

Clear skies and fair winds.

Happy New Year!
John

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.