Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009

Christop is on a distinguished road
New York City Sailing

So I'm looking for a good place to learn to sail in New York City. Does anyone have any history with the schools in the greater area? I'm pretty open to traveling an hour or two to get the best lessons and experience.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Outside of learning, I'd love to find a club to join that is within the five boroughs. I've been saying I want to make sailing a bigger part of my life for a long time, and it's time to pull the trigger.

Looking forward to some great responses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Christiop - welcome to SN dude. A very cool SN salt named Bubb can probably hook you up. I think he might even give lessons. Don't know for sure.

I've sailed with him. He's a great guy.

Also CalebD and Bene505 know the area - as well as tons of other Easties around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-27-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Christop(her),
You did not specify that you wanted the name of the cheapest sailing school in NYC but here it is: SailNY - New York City's Community Sailing Association
That said, there are several places you can locate by using a google search of: NYC sailing schools.
I took my basic keelboat course with: New York Sailing Center & Yacht Club: sailing school, club and marina.
on City Island and enjoyed their Benetteau 21' sailboats while sailing around the not too crazy waters of the western LI Sound. Most of the commercial schools are probably done with their last sessions and the first link I posted does some 'frost biting' sailing (cold weather) so they may be your best bet to getting started sooner.
Welcome to SN and the, er, club (asylum, I am pretty sure that SmackDaddy is the, ahem, head nurse - not to be mistaken with the 'Head Mistress', aka, Peggy Hall, located right down the hall: SailboatOwners.com - View Profile: Peggie Hall-HeadMistress while the principal seems to be on sabbatical, and no one knows for sure just who he or she is.)
If you can guess the movie I am parodying with my parenthetic remarks above you will get points for that and no, there will be no quiz or second guesses.
Welcome to the unstable world of boating and all the bizarre personalities we project on line.
Mostly, have at and have fun.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-28-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The Colgate school always has some locations in NYC, and there's the Manhattan Yacht Club (now Manhattan Sailing School or something like that) out of North Cover and IIRC two other locations. Each offering rather different boats, locations, and programs, but either one will do a good job with you. MYC offers more in terms of a sailing club & ongoing social situation after the learning part. Colgate of course has their international affiliation with The Moorings and other opportunities. But at this time of year? Both will be winding down for the season, call fast to see what's still possible.
Old 09-28-2009

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
New York Sailing School in New Rochelle

Check out their Web site, New York Sailing School. It makes some interesting points about choosing a school.

Like how having Real rocks just outside the harbor is a good motivator in learning to read a chart.

If you're coming in from midtown, the New Haven branch of MetroNorth will get you to New Rochelle in a half hour, thence a short taxi ride or a longish walk to the Echo Bay Municipal Harbor. By car it's a short hop up the New England Thruway.

Teaching fleet uses Sonars, a class racer that's fast and responsive. The Master's course combines ASA 101 and 105 (coastal nav) and it's a good preparatory for most everything. After a while away from sailing, I took a "refresher" program a decade ago that they tailored for me.

Nice People.

Call right away; season may be closing now!
Old 10-14-2009

Christop is on a distinguished road
Great advice, thanks everyone!
Old 10-16-2009

Hesper is on a distinguished road
I'm partial to Offshore Sailing School (the "Colgate school" mentioned above) which is now at Liberty Landing in Jersey City. They may be the priciest, but I think they're also the most professional and comprehensive. When you're ready to look for a club, get over to City Island in the Bronx. There are 4 yacht clubs out there with an active Wednesday night racing schedule that can teach you more in a season than you can get in 5 years of just sailing around on your own.
Old 10-16-2009

Hesper is on a distinguished road
I should add that you don't have to be a member or have a boat to be able to race. Just go to the docks and ask around - someone will need crew.
Old 10-16-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
There are two yacht clubs in Great Kills on Staten Island

If you have Polish blood in veins there is very active Polish yacht club, located in Getaway Marina in Brooklyn, I'm not sure about their racing, but parties rock for sure. There is one or two clubs in Sheepshead bay.
Old 10-19-2009

sedna30 is on a distinguished road
Do You have email adress to this Polish club?? I can't find it anywhere