Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeChris88 View Post
Xort, don't have to be a dick!!
Heh-heh, you tell him Chris.

I learned to sail about a year ago. I paid for a 4 hour charter/lesson over two weekends. We sailed a Hunter 30, and by the end of the 4th hour, and after docking it myself, I felt I understood enough to get a sailboat from point A to point B...at least on the lake.

We then rented an O'Day 25 for a weekend, then I bought a C27 soon thereafter. Been sailing and working on the boat ever since.

It's really not as difficult or intimidating as many people try to make it out to be...basic sailing that is. And it's a freakin' blast.

That said, we plan to take the ASA combo course in the Gulf this spring to prep us for chartering next year.

So - just do whatever you have to do to get out there an learn. You'll understand the basics in a few hours. Then just sail and have fun.

In the mean time, Sailnet is pretty much the best resource I've ever come across for learning about everything sailing. All you have to do is ignore the dicks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Nope, definitely not that difficult to learn the basics. The rest will take a lifetime to learn... when I've learned everything, I'll be sure to let Sailnet know. In the meantime, I'll just keep reading and asking and doing.

My first job at 14 was in a small boatyard. We rented sunfish and small daysailors in order to get people hooked into sailing and hopefully buying something larger. Using this business model, the yard was quite successful as a Catalina dealer. My job was to give 20 minute lessons to people who came to rent boats. I must have "taught" a couple hundred people the basics and with very few exceptions they all made it back to the dock without us having to go tow them back.

My father bought a sunfish when I was 6 and he learned by reading and flipping the boat (lots). When I was 9, he built a GP-14 and I learned to sail by tending the jib and eventually by steering. We eventually got bigger boats, I began to race in HS and college, etc. It was a progressive thing.

The point is, start small. Get a cheap, small boat that can be easily fixed and go sailing. When that gets a little boring, get a bigger boat and expand. You can follow your destiny, but you don't have to do it all at once. Good luck, have fun.
Old 10-23-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Xort, don't have to be a dick!!

Bobmcgov: yeah i am from Summit and i have a few friends that are a part of the Dillon yacht club so that may help out a little bit. but I am in Gunnison now going to school at Western state so southern WY isn't that far at all. That would be awesome to go out with some one next year once the ice melts for sure. thanks for the offer.
Love Gunnison. Funky little town. We should make plans to meet on Dillon or Granby next spring. We took the SJ21 to Granby this autumn and had a good time, despite the most freakish winds I've ever seen. Okay, we're perfectly accustomed to bizarre alternations of calm and 30 kts, with 120 degree shifts. Noooo problem there. But Granby had puffs ... really furious puffs ... that came in units the size of a tennis court, no kidding. You'd see this little disk of whitecaps shuttling across the water toward you. WHAM! Gone.

Then one of the isolated T-storms that had been sweeping down RMNP caught us square and (stupidly) unprepared. Sixty mph winds with the dam to leeward. It was a packed fifteen minutes, lemme tell ya. The mountains are not the easiest place to learn sailing, just because the wind never sets in one place. OTOH some good sailors come out of them, because you learn to read the shifts.
Old 10-24-2009

CallmeChris88 is on a distinguished road
Yeah i would be way down to meet up next spring, it would help out a lot. yeah i am form the summit area and was a pr snowboarder for 11 years and just got bored and wanted to learn other things, and i have always been fascinated by sailing and the thought of going out alone or with someone for way on the water. but i understand what you mean by the winds changing in all sorts of directions.

and Xort was a dick, i am here to get opinions and guidance of what my first step would be to getting started not snobby little remarks like "it's not brain surgery." that Crap doesn't help me out in any way what so ever.

thakns everyone for the info!
Old 10-24-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
callme

thanks for your opinions and assumptions.

you decided to assume that what I said was automatically meant to be condescending and rude.

nice way to start out here
Old 10-24-2009

CallmeChris88 is on a distinguished road
cause you were dude,I could use a suggestion or guidance of where to start, not a remark like "it's not brain Surgery." and it was rude man. cause a comment like that doesn't help me out at all.
Old 10-24-2009

farmboy is on a distinguished road
Chris
I'll second the book that the dog recommended. I got it last year and it has helped me out a lot. I've been sailing for a few years now and I've never had any formal instruction (lots of help, though) and this book really helped fill in the gaps. Easy to read and understand. I found the knot section a little lacking, but you'll probably want a book just on knots.
Shark24 #337
Old 10-24-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
WSC summer school

Chris,

Funny to run into a WSC student on this board. I was there from 88-91, and still work with one of my roommates. I lived in Smt Cty for a while, then Denver, and now living near and sailing on the Chesapeake. Blue Mesa is a good sailing lake. Check the WSC summer school sched. as they used to offer a sailing class when I was there. Might be a good place to start, and cheap.

If you are not in Gunni next summer, the racing scene on Lake Dillon is pretty active, just find out what night/days they race, walk the docks, introduce yourself, and ask if they need crew. Be honest about your experience, ask lots of questions, do what they ask of you, buy the beer, most of them will be glad to have you around, and you'll get invited back.

Enjoy whats left of fall in Gunni, read "The Complete Sailor", as mentioned earlier, and ski hard this winter for those of us that still wish we had CB in our backyard....then go sailing when the snow melts.
Old 10-24-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
cause you were dude,I could use a suggestion or guidance of where to start, not a remark like "it's not brain Surgery." and it was rude man. cause a comment like that doesn't help me out at all.

and calling me a dick and rude is a good response?

you sure get up in arms when you don't get the answer you want and demand. you'll do real well here

Fact is I was offering that as a statement to illustrate that it really isn't hard to learn how to sail. Many others have already offered help in regards to local courses, books, etc. My statement was meant to be a positive, but you had to assume it was negative because it didn't fit your template of what you insist the responses be.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions.
Old 10-24-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chris do you ski a basin much? Man I miss living in Evergreen. Have a great winter and keep digging around here. You'll learn a ton.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40