SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Never sailed before (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/58503-never-sailed-before.html)

CallmeChris88 09-29-2009 10:05 PM

Never sailed before

Ok so I just signed up today on here and I am fascinated by sailing, I love the ocean, I love traveling, and i want to make sailing a for sure thing. I would like to live aboard a boat and travel thats my goal, but I lack the skills of sailing. If there is any-one out there willing to help me out and throw me some pointers, I would like to join a crew to help teach, in exchange for working on a boat, or maintaing that would be amazing. I live out in CO but am willing to travel anywhere given prior notice to pursue my dream/future. If this catches anyones eye that is interested in taking someone under thier wing let me know or email me at,

callmechris88@gmail.com

Thanks
Chris anderson.

weremeer 09-29-2009 10:16 PM

Well. living in Co you need your skies now. You know that you cannot ski up a mountain. You cannot sail into the wind. You can go about 50 to 30 degrees into the wind. learning to sail is like learning a new language, and you need to go to school for that. Either sign up with a yacht club for lessons or go to a sailing school and they will teach you to tack and jibe, pull the halyard or the sheets, starboard or port and good luck.

Stillraining 09-29-2009 10:46 PM

I have been told that I an a very good Skier...I have never paid for a single lesson ..just hung around great skiers and copied what they did...I suggest the same thing with learning to sail...hang around some club sailors and you will become one...

I had know one to tell me you could get on a boat as crew when i was young just by asking around on the docks..I thought you had to be a rich kid to get near a race boat... I missed out on a lot of free learning I'm now having to figure out.

MeckDC 10-21-2009 05:59 PM

We also lived in CO but just bought a Cat and moved to TX. If you are in the mountains there is a great sailing school at Lake Dillon where you can learn the basics. Not sure about the Denver area but can imagine there are schools there as well. Too cold to start now but you can always sign up to crew for a week or two. On the cruisers forum it seems there is always someone looking for crew even without experience.

Good Luck!!

sailingdog 10-21-2009 09:28 PM

Chris—

First, you shouldn't post your e-mail address like that, unless you like a lot of spam.

Second, I'd highly recommend you spend some time sailing... first take some ASA courses, lke the ASA 101—learn to sail course... and figure out if you can deal with being on a sailboat. Also, spend some time sailing, either by joining a club or crewing for other people on their boats.

Third, Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.

xort 10-22-2009 05:56 AM

It's not brain surgery!

bobmcgov 10-22-2009 01:00 PM

Hi Chris. While taking lessons and ASA/US Sailing courses is one path, Colorado only has one or two places to do that. (Dillon has instruction.) You'll find most sailors are friendly under their gruff demeanor and will happily initiate a person who seriously wants to learn. Offering to help with their boat chores in return is considered good form.

Whereabouts in Colorado are you? We're in southern Wyoming and would be glad to take you out if distance permits & schedules coincide. When the ice melts. If the lakes get water. Next June.:(

CallmeChris88 10-22-2009 10:40 PM

Xort, don't have to be a dick!!

Bobmcgov: yeah i am from Summit and i have a few friends that are a part of the Dillon yacht club so that may help out a little bit. but I am in Gunnison now going to school at Western state so southern WY isn't that far at all. That would be awesome to go out with some one next year once the ice melts for sure. thanks for the offer.

TrevC 10-23-2009 02:38 AM

When we were first starting out, we didn't bother with lessons. The cost of 2 people going through 'beginners' and 'intermediate' courses was about the same as buying a decent dinghy and trailer. We ended up with an old but nice National-E dinghy. Timber hull, all rigging and sails in pretty good shape. It even had a spinnaker. It was about $2200AUD total for everything.

We did read sailing books before hand, and our first couple of outings were fairly disastrous/humorous, but we learned everything very quickly this way. By our 3rd time out we were really enjoying it, and actually getting to do some exploring. We only capsized once the whole time we owned the boat. Before we knew it we were filling up the boat with beer and going on little adventures around the Broadwater from early morning till later at night. I can still remember the sound of all the empty beer cans rolling across on each tack! Good times.

I think Xort meant well when he mentioned that "it's not brain surgery". I couldn't agree more. Lessons would be a lot more structured, and maybe even not as fun. You also don't have nearly as much time to simply mess around and learn everything about your boat and how to handle different conditions.

If you have any friends that know anything about sailing, even more reason to ditch the lessons. Sailing lessons at the intro level kind of remind me of those businesses offering "surf lessons". Sometimes it's better to just buy a cheap board and paddle out, even if you do get the snot kicked out of you the first few times.

Hope that helps :)

sailingdog 10-23-2009 07:36 AM

I don't think that Xort was trying to be a dick... he's got a valid point, in that learning the basics of sailing aren't all that difficult. One book I'd highly recommend you get and read is Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor. IMHO, it is probably the best written sailing primer that covers a broad swath of subject matter.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeChris88 (Post 534733)
Xort, don't have to be a dick!!

Bobmcgov: yeah i am from Summit and i have a few friends that are a part of the Dillon yacht club so that may help out a little bit. but I am in Gunnison now going to school at Western state so southern WY isn't that far at all. That would be awesome to go out with some one next year once the ice melts for sure. thanks for the offer.