Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
and when did anyone, feel less fearful after any one of you told your newbies not to be afraid?

I like to suggest; " if you feel uncomfortable, Please let me know if the boat scares you in anyway." After, I always thank them for coming on the boat no matter how short a sail we had or even if it was just to motor around.
I truely beleive most people will not come back on a boat if the first experiance is the least bit uncomfortable. My guests comfort is more important that "showing" how I "handle" the boat.

Hey! I'm not suggestsing ANNNNNY of the guys have egos that make them want to impress others!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Hey! I'm not suggestsing ANNNNNY of the guys have egos that make them want to impress others!
Oh - okay, good. I wasn't quite sure where you were going with that.

Personally, I like to always start off with "Hey, baby, watch this."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-20-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Areas to stay clear of

* Traveler when jibing.
* Sheet winches most of the time.
* If they are on the tramp/foredeck, duck when tacking.
* If I yell I'm not mad - it is simply hard to hear when the engine on or the wind is up.
* Please tell me if I am close to a piling when docking, but don't expect me to answer. I am listening to you and adjusting.

And a lot of things others mentioned.

We don't talk about heeling; we don't heel.
We don't talk about going down below; it isn't.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 10-21-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Rereading the posts is making me think.....

I think that I need to add something about heeling. I really don't mention it in my pre-sail because I assume that people understand that's what sailboats do. On the other hand, there must have been a 100 times when someone asked me if the boat could tip over, if it would come back up, what we would do, etc. Clearly, they were worried about the heeling thing. I must have explained another 100 times about the fact that we're 16500 pounds, have 8000 pounds of lead in the keel, etc. Since it's all underwater and out of sight, I don't think that the explanation does much good.

Thanks for making me think. No one wants their guests to a) get hurt or b) have a bad time.
Old 10-21-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I tell them that they can put anything in the marine head as long as they eat it first!
Old 10-21-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
and when did anyone, feel less fearful after any one of you told your newbies not to be afraid?

I like to suggest; " if you feel uncomfortable, Please let me know if the boat scares you in anyway." After, I always thank them for coming on the boat no matter how short a sail we had or even if it was just to motor around.
I truely beleive most people will not come back on a boat if the first experiance is the least bit uncomfortable. My guests comfort is more important that "showing" how I "handle" the boat.

If I have someone on the boat who is truly apprehensive, I will hand them the mainsheet, and tell them if the boat heels too much just let this out until you feel comfortable. I had a friend of my wifes on board who was too fearful even for that, so I sat her next to me and she ended up driving. After a few minutes, all was well.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 10-21-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
If I have someone on the boat who is truly apprehensive, I will hand them the mainsheet, and tell them if the boat heels too much just let this out until you feel comfortable. I had a friend of my wifes on board who was too fearful even for that, so I sat her next to me and she ended up driving. After a few minutes, all was well.
This worked really well for the g/f. She's not a huge fan of heeling, but once I put her in control of the traveler, she felt much better.
Old 10-21-2009

Superpickle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I just say "HEY! GET THE HELL OFF MY BOAT!"

Sorry dude, this thread is just too ripe for one-liners. The falling over thing is the biggest issue I have to explain. However, I'd never thought of using the Volkswagen formula. I'm interested to see what it takes to Jeff's Farr planing with a couple of VW bugs lashed to his keel.

At the first sign of a heel, I also like to start screaming hysterically: "We're all gonna diiiieeeee!!!"

People usually don't sail with me.

And then Scream "Shark Repellent WHERES MY SHARK REPELLENT "

Old 10-21-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I tell them that they can put anything in the marine head as long as they eat it first!
What do you do with the toilet paper?
Old 10-21-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
The head doesn't work, so you'll have to hold it until we come back to the dock.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.