Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Personally,

I always do a 15-20 minute indoctrination whether it is one or all of the crew that never sailed with me. Covering where the pumps are, fire extinguishers are, electrical cut-offs and my emphasis on one going overboard.

It does two things:

1. Generally - gives an general idea, though they will grasp it casually, but in case of distress that memory wakes the heck up.

2. they at least know what to expect, if you indoctrinate them.
Self preservation is more about being armed with the knowledge that it is striking fear.

I invite anyone that just takes strangers out or has the occasional never did it before - to have a safety briefing before hand and allow others to have to routinely go through it. Personally, do it anytime you go underway regardless how much you trust the crew. You never know when the worst happens as sailing and life will rear that ugly head when you least think it should matter....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
When getting off the boat, at a place where the life lines are up, make sure both legs are on the outside of the life lines before stepping to the dock.
You may find it better to either walk to the middle of the boat so you can hold the shrouds or lower the lifelines to make getting off the boat safer.

Let me get the boat secure before attempting to get off.

Come to think of it why is everyone so anxious to get off the boat?
Do not let the fresh water run I only have a few gallons. Leave the dishes in the sink I will show you my special water saver way of washing them.

Last edited by davidpm; 10-21-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwheeler98 View Post
What do you do with the toilet paper?
Some heads don't process toilet paper too well. Those of us who have had the fun job of taking a head apart due to a tp clog don't want to do it again any time soon. We put tp in a plastic bag that gets thrown out when we get ashore. Startling to the newbies, but much nicer idea then taking apart a head and plumbing.

michael
Old 10-22-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleeboy View Post
Some heads don't process toilet paper too well. Those of us who have had the fun job of taking a head apart due to a tp clog don't want to do it again any time soon. We put tp in a plastic bag that gets thrown out when we get ashore. Startling to the newbies, but much nicer idea then taking apart a head and plumbing.

michael
Good to know. We have a porti potti and use the RV toilet paper...and it's hubby's job to maintain. We'll have to keep that in mind for our next boat.

Last edited by alwheeler98; 10-22-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2009

zAr is on a distinguished road
If I want them to help with docking after a sail then I'll start off with a demonstration of how step off the boat with a line, using the opportunity to establish the rule about not jumping under any circumstance and why, then demonstrate how to put a turn around a cleat to stop the motion of the boat, followed by a demonstration of a tie off with a few practice turns. I've learned it's one thing I can never adequately explain once I've cast off, it needs to be demonstrated. It's also something easy to learn and seems to empower newbies.
Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Sit down, shut up and hold on... no seriously. I go through the basic functions of the boat INCLUDING use of the head if they're newbies. I explain that PFD's are required on our boat when outside of the cabin unless it's dead calm. The water is 50F around here and will kill you quick. I explain about the heeling and the function of the keel and how things work on the boat. i usually have them helm when we clear the headlands or help with trimming. If they get into it, I start instructing them on getting faster and more efficient on sheet handling during tacks or jybes. They all seem to enjoy it. If they just wanna sit and enjoy the ride, that's fine too.

Old 12-11-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a good trick to keep the mother in law off boat?

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 12-11-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Remove shoes. Don't crap in the head, toilet paper goes in garbage and don't touch my Corona.
Old 12-11-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
Anyone have a good trick to keep the mother in law off boat?
Messy divorce. Works every time.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-11-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Puke over the lee rail and pee sitting down.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.