Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009

yellowwducky is on a distinguished road
Catamaran heaving to questions...

Hi all,

Just finished reading 'Storm Tactics' and it was a good read. The 'catch' is, it doesn't really talk about catamarans all that much. It mentions that some people like to sea anchor bow to the wind via a chute but that isn't heaving to. It mentions sizing for average 35-40 footers being 28 foot - which seems gargantuan since it mentions 18 feet for 56-80 foot monohull. They also say 'will generally lie well' at this part; which I am not sure means lie well hove to or lie well bow pointed into the wind.

So, some questions...

1) Do cats heave to well?
2) Does the second hull aid in making the slick larger or more stable?
3) Does the lack of a deep keel hinder the creation of a slick
4) How do you rig a para anchor for a cat - it would seem to need to be off the anchor fittings at the bow but that is in the center of the front section; would make lines going across the windward hull potentially a problem no?
5) What do you lead your penant rope back to - a winch directly or a round it to a cleat and into the winch (this was not clear in the book); would a cleat not be a huge source of chafe?
6) How big a para anchor would one be looking at for 45-49 foot cats?
7) Would the heave to motion be more uncomfortable in a cat compared to a mono?

Sorry for the newb questions but thats what I am hehe.

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
1. Cats often use a para anchor
2. ?
3. possibly correct
4. & 5.Lie head on to swells. Line from each hull
6. 24'
7. NATURALLY cats are more uncomfortable in a sea!! Like a washing machine jumping across a floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowwducky View Post
Hi all,

Just finished reading 'Storm Tactics' and it was a good read. The 'catch' is, it doesn't really talk about catamarans all that much. It mentions that some people like to sea anchor bow to the wind via a chute but that isn't heaving to. It mentions sizing for average 35-40 footers being 28 foot - which seems gargantuan since it mentions 18 feet for 56-80 foot monohull. They also say 'will generally lie well' at this part; which I am not sure means lie well hove to or lie well bow pointed into the wind.

So, some questions...

1) Do cats heave to well?
It depends on the specific cat and the conditions.
Quote:
2) Does the second hull aid in making the slick larger or more stable?
3) Does the lack of a deep keel hinder the creation of a slick
Yes, it probably does, as most cats will have a shallow enough draft that they don't get deep enough to create a very effective "slick".

Quote:
4) How do you rig a para anchor for a cat - it would seem to need to be off the anchor fittings at the bow but that is in the center of the front section; would make lines going across the windward hull potentially a problem no?
I'm not a big fan of the parachute type sea anchors and think that a Jordan Series Drogue is a much better choice of survival gear to deploy as it doesn't require you to go forward in crappy weather... and doesn't strain the boat as much as a parachute does. In either case, the parachute sea anchor or Jordan series drogue should be attached via a bridle that is at least 1.5 times the length of the beam of the boat, and secured to dedicated chainplates on each hull. It would be from the bow for the parachute sea anchor and from the stern for the Jordan Series Drogue.

Quote:
5) What do you lead your penant rope back to - a winch directly or a round it to a cleat and into the winch (this was not clear in the book); would a cleat not be a huge source of chafe?
Are you talking about the pennant rope that is lead back to hold the parachute sea anchor at an angle to the boat???

Quote:
6) How big a para anchor would one be looking at for 45-49 foot cats?
Depends on the design and displacement of the cat.
Quote:
7) Would the heave to motion be more uncomfortable in a cat compared to a mono?

Sorry for the newb questions but thats what I am hehe.

Regards
For some people the motion of a multihull, which is quicker, is less comfortable, for others it is more comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hiya SD.
Horses for courses mate. How are you these days?

Old 10-27-2009

Its interesting to see you mention you prefer running - having gone through that storm tactics book it sounds like it would be low on my list of choices; at least for a monohull. The thought of broaching sounds horrendous and pitchpoling doesn't sound much better. Heaving to sounds positively serene in comparison which is why I am curious how well cats heave to; if I buy a cruising boat it would only be a cat - the SO would never go for a mono for a multitude of reasons.
Old 10-27-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Dave on MAXINGOUT has used the anchor in 50knots. I believe he typed they did, or could've baked a cake.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 10-27-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Maxing Out

Sorry...EXIT ONLY is the name of the boat.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 10-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
YellowDucky—

I'd point out that most multihulls are fairly resistant to broaching, especially when running...due to the multiple hulls

I'd also point out that the sea anchor sizing is different for monohulls and multihulls due to the very different design criteria. A 35-40' catamaran is going to have a lot more windage than a 40' monohull as a general rule...

Pitch poling is only a serious risk if the boat is moving too quickly. A JSD basically makes pitchpoling a non-issue.

Hey St. Anna—

I'm good....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2009

Interesting points SD.

What about in the worst of things though with a cyclone? If you are in the 'right' side you would be running into or parallel to the center.

Call me conservative but reading that book made me think heaving to sounded like a very nice and conservative move for pretty much every kind of boat.
Old 10-28-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Peter Johnstone authored a short article on what he called "parking" a catamaran about 10 years ago. I'll see if I can find the e-mail we exchanged afterwards. The upshot was IIRC no jib, main sheeted in, and helm locked so the boat is headed up. I'll look through my files in the morning and post if I can find anything.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.