Join Date: Nov 2002
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 13
Second Day Out Continues
The first day ended at a marina that was labeled private. I stayed because I knew a resident that was sympathetic to my cause with the understanding I should find a marina and move it soon. Fortunately this area has some excellent marinas with very flexible dockmasters. With this in mind I found a great location and set out on day two to go to my new marina. My mast is currently lying horizontal with the bottom extending past the bow pulpit. I was in somewhat of a rush due to impending bad weather. The cove of departure was smooth as a mirror. However, when I entered the main bay it had 3-4 ft swells. This would not be much to a seasoned sailor but this unseasoned sailor had not secured the mast to the deck. It bounced off and between my wife and I caught it with one end in the water. My wife continued to hold it down while I steered on with the motor until we were safely in our new harbour. The only damage was a broken spreader and a newfound respect for the need to check marine warnings in the bay before departure. I also learned the significance of facing the bow into the waves as opposed to taking them on starboard. Without the stability of the mast it felt very unstable.
Here''s to looking forward to trip #3.