Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2003

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
Major Tuning the Rigging

I''m not talking about the finer aspects, I want the majors so that I''m not at risk. The best answer that I can get for how to tune the rigging is "it depends on who you ask" and "it can get as deep as you want to go with experience".

I want to know how to initially set up my rigging. I just stepped my mast on a ''23 ft Hunter with aft raked spreaders (in only 15 minutes I might add-with the help of my strong 16 year old son). Trouble is that I''ve found only one article that list steps to setting up a rig initially and it was for forward lower rigs. Please read the bottom and give me some simple advice to set it up the first time out. Things that concern me are comments like "a masthead that hooks to weather should be avoided" and the owner "was oblivious to the dangers of losing his rig" from improper setups.

The following is a very generic summary of what I''ve read and I assure you it needs correction. Please help.

Straighten the mast hand tight only with the backs, fore and upper shrouds. Use the Main Halyard to compare distances to the chainplates to confirm equal distance port and starboard. Before tightening one side slightly loosen the other. Confirm side to side bend by visually examining the mainsail track for bends. Continue by handtightening the lower shrouds. Apply tension on the backstay until the rake is approximately 1/2 to 1 times the width of the Mast from aft to forward. Apply forward tension till forward rake is 1/2" to 1" forward rake on the mast. Take the boat sailing and adjust the leeward shrouds whenever slack is noticed, change tack and check the tension.

If the center bends to weather loosen the lower shrouds, if the top bends loosen the leeward upper shroud.

Finally Aft RAke increases weather helm and forward rake decreases weather helm.

Help with any correction and hints as possible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2003
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
Major Tuning the Rigging

go to hunterowners.com
Old 01-07-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
Major Tuning the Rigging

Most of your posting seems to make sense, but I question a few things. 1/Why slightly loosen one side before tightening the other? It would just seem to make it take longer to tune the rig. 2/Do you understand the difference between mast rake and mast bend? I believe what your instructions want is for there to be a mast width of rake, when the mast is straight. (i.e.: it leans back a little.) Then, once the rake is set, if you don''t have a masthead rig, you can put about an inch or so of fore-and-aft bend in the mast by pulling on the forestay, leaving the backstay set the way it was. This fore and aft curve in the mast helps to flatten out the luff of the mainsail so you can point higher. Some boats set the rake with the forestay, and then pull the backstay to add the bend - it depends upon which is easier with your setup. Have fun fiddling !
Old 01-08-2003

Major Tuning the Rigging

Thanks very much. You are exactly right. I perceived rake to be bend. But it sounds like it means more to lean. I''ll read the paper again and jot down some more notes.

I can work out the finer stuff later down the road, but what do I want to avoid. I don''t intend to sail in greater than 15 knots until I get a little experience, so what should I avoid. Forward bend or too tight of rigging or too loose of shrouds, etc.

Heres to smooth seas and a steady breeze!
Old 01-09-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
Major Tuning the Rigging

Loose rigging is probably not a good idea. It can put undue strains on fittings & wires if they suddenly get "snapped tight" with a load when you tack, for example, or if the mast is slapping around in waves. With a Catalina 27 you''re not likely to break much of anything if the rig is simply snugged up all around before you leave the dock, and you make adjustments under sail. Aluminum masts can take a good deal of abuse without becoming permanent pretzels. On our 27 foot Soling, we used to put in almost a foot of mast bend (chord depth) in heavy air - about 3x the mast''s fore/aft thickness. On one occasion or another we also managed to lose a shroud without losing the mast or anything else overly expensive. It''s not something you go out trying to do, of course.
Old 01-09-2003

Major Tuning the Rigging

Paulk,
Thanks, that is definitely the type answer I''m looking for. Now you said you put almost a foot of bend in the mast in heavy air, I would think that the top was forward and the curve is arched back aft during the heavy air. Is this correct?

I guess what I''m asking is "chord depth" synonomous with the direction that it is arched?
Old 01-10-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Major Tuning the Rigging

Rookiehunter,

The mast is bent such that the masthead moves aft and the middle of the mast bends forward. I don''t know of any times when it should be bent the other way.
Old 01-10-2003

Major Tuning the Rigging

I have a bad habit of digging into subjects and asking questions until I learn a little bit. I''ve asked so many people about this tuning that I have a basis for the original sail and I''ll read up after that. I''m going back to my slip tomorrow and I''ll tighten it all down again, but the last answer from duane was incredibly helpful. My shrouds are set back aft about 12-14" and the back stay splits about 6 feet up and goes to each corner of the stern. Problem is no matter how much I loosened the back stay and the shrouds, I couldn''t pull the top of the mast foreward because the forestay only goes up to within 6 foot or so of the top of the mast. So with the forestay tightened I was still left with a slight curve forward in the mast. I couldn''t remove it without putting undue pressue on my deck plate (called the "step" I think). So thanks again guys. I don''t know what I would do without sailnet. Please throw in pointers if I''m still off a little (or a lot).
Old 01-12-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Major Tuning the Rigging

You might consider going to Brion Toss'' websight for help in rig tuning. He has a pretty good video that explains how a rig works, and how to tune it. After watching it twice, I was able to tune my B&R rig in about two hours, and I was taking my sweet lovely time.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 01-12-2003
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Major Tuning the Rigging

In case you didn''t find this...here is the url for the B&R rig at hunterowners.com....
http://www.hunterowners.com/ref/br.html

Fair winds
John