Chart Reading OR Sailors on the Delaware / Chesapeake - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstraub View Post
For details on navigation regulations pertaining to restricted areas, etc., check the Coast Pilot for the area of interest. It will have all the navigation information regarding just about everything. The Coast Pilot is in various volumes for different areas and all are free for download from:

United States Coast Pilot®

Gerhard
Hey Gerhard;

I have downloaded Coast Pilot 2 and 3 for my trip. They have a lot of information I think the issue is there was two much info for me to get through yet.

Thanks for the suggestion;

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscilla View Post
You should buy the Mid Atlantic Waterway guide and the Northern Waterway guide. Expensive, but there good for years and they have good data on marinas, anchorages, etc. The top of the Chesapeake there are good anchorages in the Sassafras and Bohemia rivers. 6 miles down the Delaware to starboard is the Reedy Is. dike, pass thru the marked opening for another anchorage. The Cohansey R. looks to far off course, it isn't. Anchor at the entrance or tuck further up river its a great spot. Plan carefully that river can become a nightmare in a very few minutes... or its like sailing on a pond. Try to keep the current with you and ease off the channel when a ship appears, you'll do fine! Also forget restricted, means nothing! Have fun.
Hey priscilla;

Thanks for the info, I am starting to think a run for the Cohansey river is the best bet. I don't want to push hard as this will be the first day of the trip but if all goes well then why not.

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 11-30-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapaide View Post
Try using the Active Captain website for infomation on anchorages/marinas. It is an interactive cruising guide, the link is ActiveCaptain - The Interactive Cruising Guidebook - Marina Reviews, Fuel Prices, Anchorages
Thanks a lot for the link, that site is amazing!

Mark Twain
Old 11-30-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I 've just posted some information regarding the Delaware on my blog that might help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
Robert,

You need to provide the boat type/manufacturer, or at least draft and mast height for us to be any real help.

1) Oyster grounds notifies the mariner of aquaculture and not to anchor or otherwise drag the bottom and disturb. You can sail over them. BTW be sure that your boat fits through the Cape May Canal by draft and mast height. I try and stay out of the shipping channel, just parallel the marks just outside the channel on either side. Cross the channel quickly as needed. In fog use a Securite’ call on both 13 & 16 to let them know your intentions and relative position.

2) Anchor (in settled weather) at the Reedy Island Anchorage 39˚30.15'N x 75˚34.14'W, good holding in sand, poor protection from wind, or take a slip at Delaware City Marina at 39˚34.36'N x 75˚35.40'W, full service $2.00/Ft. Within the C&D Canal is Summit North Marina at 39˚32.70'N x 75˚42.69'W, somewhat ramshackle and very "optimistic" of their alongside depth. Further back in the C&D Canal is the Anchorage Basin (Engineer's Cove) at 39˚31.65'N x 75˚48.65'W, no experience - not sure that my boat fits its draft.

3) No good anchorage on the way down the Delaware. Some have used the Cohansey River on the east side at 39˚20.46'N x 75˚22.09'. No personal experience - I have heard that it is deep (>10-Ft) and protected with good holding in mud/sand bottom

4) Probably no marinas on the Delaware that you could approach in a deep draft boat. Fuel and pump out at any of the four (?) full service marinas in Cape May. And again - be sure that you fit through the Cape May Canal. The following URL will let you browse the raster version of the charts - useful in that the notes are included.

---http://www.c-h-a-r-t-s.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/AtlanticCoastViewerTable.shtml---

Remove the hyphens in the word "charts" above then cut & paste the above URL to the address bar. If I try and use a proper link, Sailnet converts the word "charts" following the www to a sales link. Moderators, can you please ask the SailNet webmaster to skip the keyword-to-link substitution when it occurs within a URL?

Wayne

If any of my coordinates look wrong let me know I may have mistyped.
Sail Delmarva: Guide Revisions

Yes, the Cohansey would work for you, but most do the Delaware in one push.

Measure your mast with a tape and then add for the antenna / wind instrument and the distance to the waterline. Often the rig is not quite what the manual or specifications say, and there is a lot of money at the masthead. I recall the Cape May Canal bridge is 55' so you should be just fine, but I also know it has collected quite a few wind vanes!

Neither Cape May Canal or the Cohanasey are really fun at night, as a visitor. Start early.

If this boat is new to you (my impression) make sure you knock it around the Chesapeake for a few weeks first. Every delivery trip reveals a few surprises. Enjoy the post of our delivery trip with our current boat.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for homecoming christmas gag

Have fun!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
pdq,

Good advice and good info on the Cohansey in your guide. If you are still in Deale we are neighbors on the water, and not far off by land either (Oak Hill).

Best,
Wayne
Old 12-01-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Get Nigel Calder"s book "How to Read a Nautical Chart". It has an annotated explanation of every symbol in use on nautical charts (everything Chart 1 has but with more explanation and examples)

I got this when I was first learning and it really helped.
Old 12-02-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Robert,

Did I miss some info? Are you doing this trip solo? or will you have crew?
And what time of year are you setting out? Spring? Summer?...

On the Delaware leg, I've always done the Canal to Cape May in one shot.
Leaving early is the key. I've left the canal as early as 2 am to catch a fair current through the canal and out into the Bay....and it get's me in to cape may in full daylight with time to spare.. Certainly leave by dawn. it's a long day.

You can sail just outside the shipping channel, where it cooincides with your course. I wouldn't divert too far from your line to hug the jersey coast, you'll be dodging pots and stakes all day long..
The Delaware Bay can be really snotty with the wrong wind...or it could be a long hot motor...with green head flies..bitiing your ankles all day....

I understand, that you may not want to sail at night...However, the sail up the nj coast in good weather can be very enjoyable and a lot less stressful than running an inlet. Atlantic City is pretty easy. You'd want to make sure you check your tides and currents for Manasquan. The current runs strong in the river, expecially near the docks and bridges at Brielle, where you'd likely stop. Cape May to Sandy Hook, is roughly 24 hours...from Atlantic city somewhat less..

Watch your depths in the Basin in Cape May...

This is a fun trip...enjoy....you might even catch fish!
Old 12-02-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Hi Robert,

Did I miss some info? Are you doing this trip solo? or will you have crew?
And what time of year are you setting out? Spring? Summer?...

On the Delaware leg, I've always done the Canal to Cape May in one shot.
Leaving early is the key. I've left the canal as early as 2 am to catch a fair current through the canal and out into the Bay....and it get's me in to cape may in full daylight with time to spare.. Certainly leave by dawn. it's a long day.

You can sail just outside the shipping channel, where it cooincides with your course. I wouldn't divert too far from your line to hug the jersey coast, you'll be dodging pots and stakes all day long..
The Delaware Bay can be really snotty with the wrong wind...or it could be a long hot motor...with green head flies..bitiing your ankles all day....

I understand, that you may not want to sail at night...However, the sail up the nj coast in good weather can be very enjoyable and a lot less stressful than running an inlet. Atlantic City is pretty easy. You'd want to make sure you check your tides and currents for Manasquan. The current runs strong in the river, expecially near the docks and bridges at Brielle, where you'd likely stop. Cape May to Sandy Hook, is roughly 24 hours...from Atlantic city somewhat less..

Watch your depths in the Basin in Cape May...

This is a fun trip...enjoy....you might even catch fish!
Hey Tempest;

I have two crew for part of the trip (Albany to Toronto) but I will be solo for the Chesapeake, Delaware and the New Jersey coast. As the time comes closer I might hire a professional captain for the Annapolis to New York City run, I just don't know yet. The plan is to launch the boat in early May and take a week to just cruise around the Chesapeake getting use to the boat.

I have not setup tide info yet as this thread was primarily because I was confused about a couple chart issues. I will post more detailed info as I finalize the individual legs of the trip.

So far I have leg one at 55 NM taking me from Annapolis through the C&D canal to the Reedy Island anchorage. Depending on weather, trip time... I might make a run as far south as the Cohansey River. Leg two will only go so far as Cape May Harbor since the New Jersey Coast will wait for leg 3. The plan was for a few legs to hop up the New Jersey coast because of the length of the run if I went all in one day. I am not comfortable with the idea of sailing at night as I have never done it before. I could look at making as much distance as I could on day one and end day two in Atlantic City, I suppose I could leave Atlantic City at 4pm and sail 24 hours straight to Sandy Hook. This would let me sleep a good 14 hours before tackling the Hudson... Sooo many options.

Thank you, the thing I have forgotten is that this IS SUPPOSED to be fun. I keep looking at it almost like a job, something that has to be done and specific goals need to be kept. I'm taking three weeks of work but what the hell, if I need a fourth i'll take a fourth.

Mark Twain
Old 12-08-2009

Captghbennett3 is on a distinguished road
Simple just follow the main channel stay just ouside the marks. Those restricted areas are not a concern for you they are for large ships. Just follow the marks. Plan to stay at the anchorage in the C and D canal and then leave for cape may at the crack of dawn and just follow the marks. The current rips in the del bay and it will take you all day to get to cape may. There is no where to put in in the del bay. Cape May anchorage is great. Don't worry, just follow the marks.
Old 12-08-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Robert

Yes, it's supposed to be fun, so don't sweat it too much. I'd plan to anchor in the Canal as Captghbennett3 has stated. You are too exposed on the bay.
I've layed over at chesapeake city in the past.

The Cohansy river is an option, but you've got to hit the tide right. I'd probably just leave at dawn and go to cape may....unless you want to stop and smell the roses....there's not much up the Cohansey..The Bait Box restaurant..is about it...pretty river though.

Keep us posted as you get closer to your departure. I might be available to give you a hand in May...touch base when you're ready.

Yes, weather happens! so it's good to be somewhat flexible with your schedule.