Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Yes, I have one in that size. I think it's 100%. Hey, it's great to be told that I don't have to buy something!
Oh, as for buying things, we can find plenty of other gear to help you spend your money on!!

Hmmm, let's see, spinnakers, anchors, electronics, foul weather gear, bottom paint, rigging, gratuities for Sailnet moderators, etc etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
............ gratuities for Sailnet moderators, etc etc.

No comprendais

please explain?

Oh, we're supposed to hit mods with bigger hammer/bat/hand/glove etc next time?!?!?!?!

We can do that!

but not to furry lovable wombats................:rolley es:
Old 01-09-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Hey Bubble I agree with John save the money. I have only need a storm jib once in the bay but I dont have one so its drop the sails and motor in. The middle bay isnt that wide seas dont reach larger then 4' but it is a nasty chop. You just need winter to pass so you can play with the sails you have.
Old 01-09-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
But a "storm jib" on a smaller boat is really just a good blustery day sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Hey Bubble I agree with John save the money. I have only need a storm jib once in the bay but I dont have one so its drop the sails and motor in. The middle bay isnt that wide seas dont reach larger then 4' but it is a nasty chop. You just need winter to pass so you can play with the sails you have.
No, it is not for storms. There is no sailboat on the Bay that can safely standup to the worst microburst with sail sheeted in, so it is not safety gear for thunderstorms on a small boat. It is a tool for brisk sailing when the main is reefed an the wind is piping out of the west, giving relativly flat seas.

I had a storm jib ($125 used from dolphin sails, never used by the prior owner) for my Stiletto 27 (a fast but tender catamaran), and it was my favorite sail for going to the windward in over 15 knots true. At the low end I would still have a full main, using the jib for balance and to provide just a bit of slot. It was much flatter than my working jib and didn't flog the same way when eased. I would also use it with 1 and 2 reefs as the wind built to ~ 25 knots, at which time it was time to look for shelter.

As for thunderstorms, the only smart strategy in a smaller boat is to take everything down and to motor or anchor. A 60knot gust may knock you down under bare poles if it catches you on the beam.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=pdqaltair;558139]No, it is not for storms.
Not sure if we agree or not but when I said there was one time I could have used one it was because I was in 33knt winds. That may not be a storm wind to you but in my 24' boat it is almost the limit.
Old 01-09-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Yes, we are kind of saying the same thing, I think.

[QUOTE=lapworth;558207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
No, it is not for storms.
Not sure if we agree or not but when I said there was one time I could have used one it was because I was in 33knt winds. That may not be a storm wind to you but in my 24' boat it is almost the limit.
The Stiletto weighed 1200 pounds for a 27' boat and I got knocked around plenty; it was no doubt more tender than your boat. However, the best treatment for high winds on the Chesapeake is generally the weather forecast and care.

Look for a used sail - they are quite available because people buy them, don't use them, and then switch to roller furling.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-09-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I totally agree that the weather forecast and common sense are the best defense but from what I've read here, everyone gets caught with their pants down at some time or other.

The Coronado isn't very tender (or so all the other owners tell me). I agree that I'll probably never get switched over to a smaller jib before a squall passes. Sounds like I should just douse the sails and anchor or motor.

I'll look around online for a small-ish jib. If I find one for a price as good as PDQ's, maybe I'll consider it.
Old 01-09-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'm recalling FX sails which advertises here, has some premade storm jibs of different sizes, set up for different boats. Worth a look.

Also, you might look at places like Bacon Sails which sell used sails, there may be something in stock that will work cheaply for the one or two times you may or may not need a smaller sail like a Storm jib.

The other thing is. some of the T-storms or equal that will have these BIG winds, are usually noticable up or down wind from you so you to a degree, once you are used to how the water/clouds etc look, you can get things down and changed ahead of time, or as it is occuring. Still, I will admit you can get caught as you say, with your pants down! I had this halloween day during a race. We had reefs in and out about as fast as I am typing, switch out rom the 155 to the 110 and back up. One time just the 155!

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.