Old 01-30-2010

sammy112350 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Buy a $500 sailing dingy and get to it.
I like this idea.
As I am a beginner as well, where I can find this "$500 sailing dingy?"
It sound very good idea, just tell me where to look for such a boat.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Build it.
Old 01-31-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Seconded on other people's boats, ASA sailing course, and the catalina 27. It's good to go time and again with friends, and then fill in what they didn't know you didn't know with a course. Around the size range that sleeps 5-6, you tend to get a fixed keel and a good deal more fuss. Some of your goals may be for your 2nd or 3rd boat. You may not be ready for the boat you're destined to have in the long run. I make it sound hard but it's not, $10k could get you a decent 30' and you could just skip the foreplay and go to the school of hard knocks. Hardest part for me was the purchase, to line up finance, a surveyor, a captain for the sea trial, things that can be avoided with a trailer sailor.

Living aboard is easy, too. I don't know why everyone doesn't do it but i'm glad they don't.

Last edited by nailbunnySPU; 01-31-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy112350 View Post
where I can find this "$500 sailing dingy?"
I'd check ebay, craigslist and local classifieds. Names I'd look for would be laser, flying junior, optimist. If you really want to have a ball, you might snag a hobie catamaran and run circles around monohulls twice your size.
Old 01-31-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Look on ebay I find there is alot of boats on the Hudson for sale CHEAP.

All the advice is great and I'm sure most here have far more experiance then I, but it sounds like you know what you want and things have changed and nice boats are easy to get at this time. My Chrysler C-22 has been perfect for learning on and the wife and I have spent days staying comfortably on it. Yes it lacks head room but is great to sail easy to trailer and after one season of sailing it my wallets a little heavier, Yes far from the norm but I bought a parts boat and sold everything I didn't need and have the money to buy a Chrysler C-26 that we think we want because of more room, and to safely coastal sail. It might sit in the front yard till I'm ready, We have an idea of what we want and this seems like to time to grab it.

Luv It sounds like a 27 is what you need, room size. A little bigger then what a day sailer needs to be on most lakes but right for family. Our C-22 is only good for sleeping 2 comfortably even if it can sleep 5 (no thanks) the wife is use to my snorring P.

Good luck with your search I was lucky and had a boat dropped in my lap but I would sail a bath tube just to be out there.

Last edited by MarioG; 01-31-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
weekender of sorts that can sleep 4-6 people
I have a 38' and would hesitate to put 6 people with all their gear in it for more than a single night. Sure, we race with 8 on overnight races, but that's way different. When you cruise, it's different. Don't believe the manufacturers. Six people is a LOT of people in a very small area. Also keep in mind that it will get hot with all that body heat. Sleeping in the cockpit - no way. The seats are too narrow except for small kids and I would be very uncomfortable with them outside and me inside. I can't do more than doze in the cockpit.

A Catalina is a great boat but make sure that you get one with an inboard. With an outboard, the motor is mounted too high and will cavitate. My dad had a 9.9 HP outboard and we were way underpowered. On the other hand, it's now getting complicated... bigger boat, more stuff, more maintenance, cost, etc.
Old 02-01-2010
Wharfinger

Kiskadee is on a distinguished road
Before asking what boat to begin with you must be sure of how you'll use the boat. Don't write-off MacGregor 26's, as the ones' built before 1996 were sailboats, not power-sailers. They are a great way to avoid the high cost of moorage as you can trailer them home. I used to have a 1988 26D and could go from highway to sailing in under 30 minutes. They are comfy for two plus kids for up to a week, but they are built too light for heavy weather. The Catalina 27 is an excellent boat, which feels and handles like a 30. There's lots of room below for extended family coastal cruising. They don't trailer easily so you'd need to find moorage. Most importantly, don't buy any boat without a survey. It will tell you when to scream "RUN", or when to negotiate for a better price. And NEVER use a surveyor recommended by the seller. Before buying make sure you find a marina or club that has room. Also find out what insurance will cost. Many companies will add small boats to the home insurance for a small premium. Many marinas & clubs have boats for sale that aren't actively listed elsewhere. Stop by a marina that you'd like to join and have a beer. Tell the old salts that you're looking to get into their sport and ask for advice. You'll walk away with your head spinning, but you'll likely save a lot of money in the end.
Old 02-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that doing your own inspection of a boat is generally a good idea, and will often tell you whether the boat is even worth getting a survey on or not. See my boat inspection trip tips thread for more info...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-03-2010

luvoceanlife is on a distinguished road
One of things I was considering was looking for a boat to cruise around and that could sleep my family and 1 or 2 freinds. In reality my friends will rarely join us on the boat and it would be nice to have this as a family thing for now. Down the road when I am ready to upgrade I can look at something bigger (non-trailorable) to consider inviting freinds on trips with. So I've decided to stick with something under 24 ft and that will not cost me more than what I can afford by th summer. Luckily I have some good experience motoring so I get boats to some degree. Its the sailing part I will need help with and much like many of ou my sailing freinds are more than happy to help. I'll keep you posted on my journey. I am so excited to get going as its been a dream of our for 13 yrs!!! Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Good luck man! Me and my wife just picked up an Oday 23' Poptop. Can't wait to get on the water. I would have to agree with the guys on here about sleeping accommodations. My 23 is much larger than a cat 22 inside, I can't imagine trying to sleep 4 on my boat let alone a 22... If you can find an Oday, jump on it! Great boat and I haven't even sailed mine yet!

I'll let you know how much it leaks and rusts!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.