Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Another consideration to keep in mind is current. If you sail on salt water, the tidal currents can determine whether sailing is feasible or not. If you have an outgoing tidal current of 3 knots and only a 4 knot sea breeze, chances are pretty good you won't be sailing back...
But you might find yourself sailing backwards.. . ......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2010

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
But you might find yourself sailing backwards.. . ......i2f
chuckling now .. but remembering yesterday .. tired and weary after 7 glorious hours on the bay .. winds picking up .. messin with a flying jib .. trying to get the main down and stowed .. starting the outboard .. wondering WHY the channel entrance was moving further AWAY .. thinking the throttle needed to be goosed .. and then realizing it was in neutral ..
Old 02-08-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
When I snuck out for a run in January, I was very stubborn about not running the engine on the way back in. The channel into Whitemarsh creek gets narrow, so not a lot of tacking room but there was no other traffic, so I was bent on trying it.

The geography of the surrounding land makes the wind do all sorts of funny things and I did poke along at 1-2 kts, beating upwind in very light air for about 30 minutes until I was able to make the smallest of course changes. I was finally able to fill the sails and get up to 3-4 kts which was perfect for the tight, shallow area I was in. Then I sailed all the way home but for the last 300 yards where the wind completely died as I made the final 90 degree course change to the dock.

I was glad I persevered, because I feel that I learned alot about trimming and manuvering and generally "making it work".
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-08-2010

pearson30sailor is on a distinguished road
an old sailing friend use to call it the two nut rule- if you cant do two nuts, then motor it.
Old 02-08-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
So far everyone is right. Point of sail, sail inventory, etc. all make a difference. So does the type of the boat. A big, heavy full-keel boat will not the make the same light air speed as a light fin-keel race boat.
Is the Cal 25 considered a light fin keel race boat? I know they claim it to be a racing boat which is why I wonder, although it don't look like a racing boat to me. Thanks guys for all the info! This forum is obviously a great place to be for a rookie like me. I will be setting sail tomorrow afternoon to do a lake ponchartrain crossing, as long as its not too cold. Pretty strong winds forcasted for tomorrow, 15-25knts so I like to think I will get good speed out of that. I am still looking for a used gasoline outboard motor, hopefully I will find one soon. I may end up buying it new but I just don't feel its completely necessary for a sailboat since its not the primary means of propulsion unlike powerboats. As long as it runs good thats all I need. Once again thanks to all for the help!
Old 02-08-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Another consideration to keep in mind is current. If you sail on salt water, the tidal currents can determine whether sailing is feasible or not. If you have an outgoing tidal current of 3 knots and only a 4 knot sea breeze, chances are pretty good you won't be sailing back...
Of course you will sail back. Just go one way for 6 hours THEN go the other way.
Old 02-08-2010

pearson30sailor is on a distinguished road
we didn't buy sailboats to go fast, did we? hell, that would only spill the rum!
Old 02-08-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Is the Cal 25 considered a light fin keel race boat?
Any sailboat is a race boat, if someone wants to race it, but the Cal 25 is one of the most popular and competitive racing classes in the Annapolis area.
Old 02-08-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
Any sailboat is a race boat, if someone wants to race it, but the Cal 25 is one of the most popular and competitive racing classes in the Annapolis area.
It was a great race boat in it's day! And if there's a local active one design fleet in your area as mentioned above, it still is!
Old 02-08-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You can also use an anchor to stay in place and even oars and paddles if necessary.
Some racers really like to have an anchor on board if they sail where there is any current. Just in case.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.