Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010

Haleblood is on a distinguished road
Question Winter Instruction in the NE

New member here with no sailing experience. It's my buddy's birthday this month, and as we both want to start learning to sail, I was thinking it would be fun to take a class. Trouble is we live in northern NH, and I'm having trouble finding any classes available February or early March in Maine, New Hampshire, or northern Mass. Anybody know of a place to take classes in the winter? Is there another site that could be helpful? Does anyone actually sail up here this time of year? Any other ideas besides taking a formal class? I'd like to spend under $600 for both of us, like some boat time (as opposed to classroom time), and would like to actually learn something as opposed to just take a ride. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
NO place in New England is going to be offering sailing instruction classes anytime soon. April is probably the earliest you'd find. Ice, Hypothermia, Liability Insurance, etc...all make winter sailing instruction in New England a non-starter. Some places will have a frostbite racing league, but these are not generally open to complete novices and require you to have the proper winter sailing gear, like a drysuit, etc.

Finding a learn to sail course for two people for under $600 is very unlikely as well. The basic ASA 101 course is probably the minimum you'd want to have and that is going to be $600+ per person or more, and is often a five day course or so.

You might find someone at a local sailing club or yacht club that might be willing to teach two complete N00bs for $600...but I doubt they'll do as good or thorough a job of it.

I'd highly recommend you get and read Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor before doing anything else. If nothing else, it'll give you a pretty good foundation of knowledge and terminology for any course you do take. It's about $17 at the local bookstore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-11-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I thought that there were some "classroom only" courses that were also available? Obviously not as good as climbing into the boat, but better than nothing and probably cheaper.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-11-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
We do things like go to North U which is full day class on sail trim BUT its NOT geared towards brand new sailors

We also have a place here called the dingy shop that is about the cheepest place to get some on the water time and they rent drysuits which keeps your costs down

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-18-2010

Haleblood is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody for the input. I picked up The Complete Sailor (which has some great illustrations), and basically gave an IOU a sailing lesson come warmer weather.
Old 02-19-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Of course you could take a cheap flight to Florida and get some lessons. Right about now I'd kill to do that.

You could also check for schools that do a navigation course (desk work). I know mine usually does one before and after the sailing season.
Old 02-24-2010

billsails is on a distinguished road
Hi : i recommend you read "Start Sailing Right !"published by US Sailing Assoc. & American Red Cross .It is the national standard for quality sailing instruction .If you want to sail in the Winter , check loca lsailing clubs ,marinas public places where sailors keep their boats & post a note, that you want to crew & learn or just go there & hitch a sail . . Try Craigslist . I sail my Flying Scot all winter out of Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn . i post an invite on the Gotham sailing club site & quite a few sailors contact me for sailing . If you get to NYC & want to join me ,contact me @ billsails @hotmail.com Good luck ! Bill

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.