Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope you've at least tied a halyard to the chainplates or toerail to support the mast where the spreader is missing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Well, finally got her safe and sound in a marina this afternoon. Brought the tiller home today, going to re-stain it in a darker color. If it comes out good, I am going to do the rest of the wood on the cabin in the same color. I was going to do a lot of cosmetic stuff on it anyway, may as well do it now while I wait to try to get some help to bring the mast down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Had some guys out at the marina today who were very helpful and gave me a hand at securing my mast (and boat) better. So at least it will be ok for the time being. They had also gave me some contact info of someone who can help me out with mast repair, hopefully this will be the solution. On top of this, I just happen to run into a guy in homedepot who just so happen to be buying stuff for his sailboat. He had a big 38 footer. He also just so happen to have his boat in a marina right next to mine. Lucky I know So he gave me a hand with the drains in the cockpit. Still not functional though, have to get new hose fittings and maybe a couple new hoses, not a big deal.
Old 03-04-2010

oldironnut is on a distinguished road
Sounds like when I owned a Harley. Look but don't touch. And if you want to quickly find out who owns it-sit on it.
Old 03-13-2010
Bruce

Gangfurd is on a distinguished road
Someone above commented that the Cal 28 is a nice looking boat. They are correct. I love mine, seen here, along with all of the other Cal models:

Cal 28 Sailboat Cal Boats Jensen Marine Cal 28 Bill Lathrop Jack Jensen Good Old Boat

"Thats the CAL 28 in your pic? Thats a nice looking boat! Looks like a longer version of my 25. I am beginning to wonder if these CAL boats are some of the oldest boats still around."
Old 03-27-2010

Hi all, I had sold my boat, signed and done as of yesterday. The guy who had bought it was very familiar with the Cal 25s and was looking for one. He has big plans for it and said me he is going to get it all painted and ready for the summer. He is going to send me some pics when he is done, can't wait to see it. I know he is happy with it I can say that much.

Currently I am boatless but I doubt for long. I am going to be looking at a Catalina 25 tomorrow and I am most likely going to get it. There are a few others at the marina I am going to look at too but so far I am leaning on the Catalina. Hopefully I will have better luck with this one, it is a nice boat I can say that much and looks like a good step up from the Cal. There is also a Hunter 22 that looks to be in solid shape but I want to try and stay with at least a 25ft. From what I have read, these are two strong names for sailboat manufacturers and I doubt I could go wrong with either one of them.

All of this said, what the heck is it with the attachment to these things?? I think it is funny and also kind of strange. I feel like I broke up with a girlfriend or lost a dog. Unbelieveable, especially considering I only had the boat for about a month. I even had my friend who was helping me with it off and on say he was getting attached to it. Not sure if I got issues or this is normal, perhaps since it was my first boat that could be the reason? Darn, no wonder some guys name their boats after a wife or girlfriend. I once seen a big sailboat named "significant other", I bet it really WAS his significant other... No wonder captains choose to go down with their ship, I guess boat love is a real thing. I wonder if its legal to marry your boat? Any of you guys married your boats? Not sure what kind of engagement ring to get for my next one. Sure hope she is not high maintenance. I better not tell my girlfriend, she will think I am cheating on her. Ok now I think this is going too far. Next thing I know, I will be on some talk show trying to explain why I was seeing a boat behind my girlfriends back
Old 03-27-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Wow, that was fast! I hope you keep your girlfriends longer than that. Otherwise you're gonna buy a lot of "engagement rings" for these things!

I closed on a Catalina 250 yesterday - bringing her to the new marina today. If it's a production boat you want, I'd go with Catalina over Hunter every time, but I am biased.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-28-2010

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

where will you keep her? i'm splashing today and will sail/motor down the great egg harbor river in mays landing to ocean city nj. its a trip of about 13 miles. lots of water in the back bay so bridge clearance will be crucial.
best of luck with your sailing.
cheers!
sorry for the hijack...

Last edited by Bermudahigh; 03-28-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add text
Old 04-04-2010

Well guys, good news for me, i'm finally "back in the club" I had bought another boat yesterday, and she is absolutely beautiful! I am talking a huge step up from what I had. Put it this way the only thing I need to do to this boat is start the motor, un-moor it and head out. I will post some pics up here when I can. At last, that was a miserable experience I went through and I know I will have much better luck with this boat. I thank many here for the support and I knew this would not keep me from sailing again. I guess other then having empty pockets, I can say this is a happy ending to a sad story. Also, i'm glad my first boat found a new home to someone who is going to fix her up good.
Old 04-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What'd you buy this time? Any photos??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-05-2010
Proud Sailboat Bum

tartanDave is on a distinguished road
I have the perfect solution for this issue. Live on your boat.... ok that was not the perfect solution, but I think we will need neighborhood watch at the marinas. I went out bike riding one day, and I came back to my boat, only to find a bunch of smart mouthed teenagers sitting half on my rail. I asked them in a nice tone of voice why they were using my boat as their couch. The kid looked straight at me and laughed and didn't really move until I said off my boat. I really wanted to give him the A$$ kicking his daddy should of, but these days you would get in all kinds of trouble. I noticed after they left, one of my lines was loose off the deck cleat. I have a feeling they were playing with them. I bet that is what happened to you. For some reason the world of respect for other peoples property is losing ground..