Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010

stevied019 is on a distinguished road
Hey,

I'm actually in the same BOAT as you right now too. (get it? aha I crack myself up.)

I was checking out THE NEW JERSEY SAILING SCHOOL and PHILADELPHIA SAILING SCHOOL Professional Instructions Since 1973. Enjoy the Liberty of Sailing

I still need to do some research before I can make any educated decisions. But I think I'm on the right track. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
The Philadelphia Sailing School would seem to have the advantage of being close to home - assuming that you're happy with sailing on the Delaware. Their other location is near Nelson's. And of course nothing says you can't take one course at one school, and then switch to another for the next one.

You mention your wife...One thing lots of couples report is that couples shouldn't take a course together. I've also seen some schools that specialize in couple's lessons. YMMV

Some schools have 'ladies only' classes.

I'm from Ocean City.

Good luck,

Otto

Last edited by ottos; 02-17-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
The Delaware is not the most forgiving waters to learn to sail on, but the Philadelphia Sailing School near Ben Franklin Bridge and NJ Sailing School at Riverside may be the most convenient.

For more pleasant waters and scenery and the feeling of a mini vacation I would suggest also looking at Barnegat Bay, Nelsons or NJ Sailing School at Point Pleasant.

The sailing club at Bristol that Ottos mentioned is Anchor Yacht Club Home Page
Old 02-17-2010

jdilliplane1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the advice and keep it coming. The main reason my wife and me were looking to take the class together was to be comfortable with each other since we will be sailing together mostly. I am from northeast philly right off academy rd., being a PFD member we are locked into residency currently in the city limits. I have looked at ASA schools and have come across Liberty, Sailtime's classes, although anything at riverside would be great too. Does anyone know the benefits of these yacht clubs and how you become members?
Old 02-17-2010

From NE Philly the NJ Sailing School at Riverside near the Tacony Bridge is probably most convenient. I would suggest after ASA 101 using their practice boats at Point Pleasant.

The yacht clubs on the river are always looking for new members, I am not a member. Visit them and get a feel for them, the best benifit will be lots of good advise and the possibility to crew on boats with experienced sailors.

Liberty Sailing School with boats at the Marine Center next to Ben Franklin Bridge is also a sailing club that may offer crew oppertunies on their club owned boats.

Last edited by Ulladh; 02-18-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: add liberty
Old 02-20-2010

thanks

thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Currently we are looking at taking the ASA 101 class to make sure sailing is for us. We also are looking at the possibility of having a trailerable boat to save on slip fees and whatnot, considering I live less than a mile from the delaware. The catalina 22 and 25 are what we are looking at mostly, due to the high production rate, and being able to get parts if needed. Does anyone have any experience with these boats, and how hard is it to take the mast up and down? Mostly would be my wife and I with the kids and brothers, etc sometimes. So, can u do it with one person doing the majority of the work? keep in mind we will mostly be doing daysails in the beginning, but would like to take a few trips a year to the jersey shore and chesapeake. Thanks again and do most people just drop anchor for the night or do they sail through? Just trying to figure what technology and things I should keep in mind. Again, all advice is appreciated and if anyone needs help in the area, please give me a pm.
Old 02-20-2010

Jdill

I would suggest keeping things simple to start. Catalana 22 and 25 are good starter boats, the 22 may be a bit cramped for more than 2 for an overnight but do-able. Single handing for a new sailor is not that difficult on most boats under 27ft, just practice.

If possible keep the boat on the trailer with mast up at a marina and you will save time setting-up to go for an afternoon sail, or get a slip and use the trailer for winter storage.

I don't travel on the Delaware at night, others may be more skilled but for me the density of commercial traffic keeps me at protected anchorage or marina at night.
There are not many good places to anchor overnight upriver from Delaware City, and the Delaware Bay depending on draft has only a handful of locations.

After ASA 101 I would suggest learning reading charts and navigation by dead-reckoning before investing in electronics, but a handheld GPS is always useful.
Old 02-20-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
I'll add my two cents - I'm also 30 yrs old and I live an hour or so west of you. I went the trailer boat route and have been very happy. I bought a boat, trailer, outboard, replaced all the stays, some blocks, line and some of the wood and a hitch for my car, new lights and tires for the trailer and I STILL have less money in it total than some people are quoting for just one season of slip rent plus a haul out.

Being on a trailer pretty much eliminates most of the expenses. It does have its drawbacks of course. But you can put in the Chesapeake one weekend. Ocean city the next. Family near Lake Erie? take the boat!

I've read and bought a ton of books on sailing and much of them have redundant information. The one book that seems to have EVERYTHING in it is "Chapman Piloting" it's dirt cheap on used book websites. I just bought "Sailing Big on a small sailboat" and it is written for 22-24' boats and includes chapters on the Catalina and it's competitors. I think I paid $3 for a 1997 edition. But I'm super cheap.

Keep the good times high and the expenses low!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 02-20-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Oh, and where to buy? I found mine on craigslist! good used 4-6 HP outboards seem to bring about $100/HP and maintenance is limited pretty much to spraying aerosols here and there a lower end oil change which if you can't do yourself you shouldn't be out on public waterways unsupervised. Keeping the boat in your yard is nice too -- you can work on it for an hour before dinner whereas if it's in a slip an hour away you'd have to make a dedicated trip. You can keep an eye on it during storms and even let the kids camp in it. Trailers aren't much upkeep -- I got the sheetz of replacing bulbs and just rewired the whole thing with an LED setup from Harbor Freight for $29. As far as wheel bearings - If in doubt, change them out! Same with tires. I got some used car tires with half tread for $20 each, installed. They'll dry rot before the tread wears thin.

Good luck!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 02-20-2010

Thanks again sealover, your advice is priceless for what I am looking for. I was thinking of doing the trailer thing for the exact same reason, and if the yacht clubs are reasonable I may go that route although there are a decent amount of public launches up this way in ne philly. Also, was looking at craigslist and the private prices is exactly what got me excited whereas motor boats are what most people describe as a hole you dump money into. And you gotta love Harbor Freight!! Thanks for the books, definitely will be doing some reading soon.