Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010

n794877 is on a distinguished road
question on wet slip mooring

Been a trailer sailor / dingy sailor all my life and have never kept any of my boats in a wet slip in a marina. With this economy, there seems to be more wet slips available now at cheaper prices. Anyhoo, can anyone point me to an article on securing your boat in a wet slip. For instance, how do you keep it from being stolen? How many lines do you use? Proper marina etiquette. I searched this site for info but couldn't seem to find the info I am looking for.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2010
TEAM ZISSU

drobarge is on a distinguished road
marina etiquette! as for securing walk the dock where you will be keeping your boat and se how others do it, there are many different styles of slip each with different line needs. Lock your boat and have insurance. I accually haven't locked my boat in 7 years but thats my own fault.
Old 02-19-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Security depends on the Marina itself. Lock your boat yes but it there is little security at the marina it wouldn't matter. You can get into even expensive boats with little more than a screwdriver. Some boats have alarms.

Walking the docks to check out what others are doing is a good idea. I'm the only one on this dock that uses double lines. They are not needed if you live close enough to check the boat now and then. Same with sails, you can leave them on if you are close enough to remove them when a storm is on its way.

Part of the etiquette is to keep an eye out. Talk to people, if someone seems out of place talk to them to see if you can help. Stuff like that goes a long way to helping keep the place safe.

I do not like to touch other boats though I did find a big fender floating around and tracked down which boat it was from (that was fun) and then tied it back on.

When I notice problems, like a sinking boat or broken dockline, I report them to the office though I did snap back on .

Ask if someone needs help when coming in or going out. Most folks don't but it can be handy just to have someone on the dock to throw a line to and if you are walking by why not. Some marinas are so tight that having a hand on the dock is about the only way to get in or out.
Old 02-19-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
We've found that the marina areas with liveaboards helps keep down vandalism and theft. Locking outboards helps too. Locked gates doesn't prevent waterborne thievery which has happened in our marina. Your insurance company may have ideas on this. Trailer sailing is however by far the most economical way to go.
Old 02-19-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n794877 View Post
Been a trailer sailor / dingy sailor all my life and have never kept any of my boats in a wet slip in a marina. With this economy, there seems to be more wet slips available now at cheaper prices. Anyhoo, can anyone point me to an article on securing your boat in a wet slip. For instance, how do you keep it from being stolen? How many lines do you use? Proper marina etiquette. I searched this site for info but couldn't seem to find the info I am looking for.
Thanks.
How do you keep your car from being stolen? The answer is "You can't, if someone really wants to steal it."

I've had my boat on a slip since I bought her back on 2007. If someone wanted to break into her they'd only need a screwdriver to pry the hasp off the cabin's hatch cover. That's pretty much a given for any boat, and if someone really wanted to steal a boat they could just cruise in with a powerboat, cut the lines, haul her out to a desolate spot and do with her what they would. Bwahaha

The wonderful advantage of being in a slip is that you drive down to your boat and take her out when you want to. She's floating there, ready to satisfy your every sailing whim, and not on a trailer in the back yard or some storage lot somewhere that you have to go pick her up and drag her down to some public boat ramp somewhere and stand in line to launch and recover her.

Also consider the wonderfulness of just sitting in her and experiencing the living flow of water around her -- you can't match that in a boat on a trailer!

In any decent marina your neighbors will look out for you, and you should look out for them. That's basic marina etiquette. If that means standing by as they dock in case they want to throw you a line, well, that just means when you're coming in and would like to toss someone a line, there just might be someone there to catch it.

Doubling lines at all time if you can't be there in a timely manner is also a good idea. If a storm pops up with 40-50 kt winds you'll feel a lot better knowing that you've got extra protection.

I hope some of this helps you make a decision. Personally, I wouldn't do it any other way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember that you can't prevent them from stealing your boat or anything on it...but if you make it more inconvenient for the thieves, they'll generally go to the next boat instead. Lock the cabin, put a lock on the outboard, etc..

Most thieves are opportunists... and if your outboard is not locked, and your cabin isn't locked...they'll go through it and take whatever they can. If your boat is locked up and the outboard is secured, and the boat next to yours isn't....guess which boat they'll probably hit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-19-2010 at 10:19 PM.