Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2003

tabby123sail is on a distinguished road
im a beginner! n im gonna sail around the world!!!

hi my name is tabitha and im 15 years old. i read the book maiden voyage by tania aebi w/ bernadette brennan n i was so inspired. my goal in life right now is to sail around the world like her.

i know nothing about sailing or anything to do w/ the subject but i am determined to learn. i went to the bookstore today and got a whole bunch of books on navigation, rigging, the whole 9 yards. i dont know if i covered everything tho.

i have been on the ocean a few times but not more than one hand''s worth and ive never been on a sailboat.

i really want to take courses in sailing. im hoping i can take the sat/sun basic sailing in chesapeke bay maryland.

my goal is to hit the world book by sailing around the world as the youngest person and hopefully fastest recorded time. in order to do that, i need money, a sailboat, the knowledge, and training and get it all in by the end of next schoolyear (thats my plan)

i would really greatly appreciate any 411 on anything at all having to do w/ sailing and learning it, experiencing it, and getting out on my own w/ it.

thanx so much 2 anyone who responds to my long boring message i just typed.

tabitha mancini
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy Tabby, I am the Pirate of Pine Island ,you can see my boat under BigRed56 in the members Directory and read my bio. I sailed the Chesapeake for many years at your age and you have to spend all your time on the water. Hang out at the marina''s and try to find a job doing anything for anyone with a boat. You''ll find plenty of free rides for a hard worker. Courses are ok but you sound more like the type to learn faster by doing. Continue to read all you can find even if you don''t understand it all, in time you will. As far as money and a boat well if you have the boat you won''t have any money because docking and maintenance are expensive. Save your money and look long and hard at all the boats finding the features you like and the performance you''ll need for your goals. You might think about finding some sponsors to support your ambitions.Lastly never ,never give up. Sailing for me is a way of life and gives me great joy. In fact sailing is the meaning of life.
Old 02-19-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The Chesapeake is a great place to learn to sail. The conditions are challenging enough to help you develop critical skills but not as life threatening as many venues. There are lots of people on the Chesapeake that would be glad to help you learn to sail and help you develop the skills required to achieve your dream. Severn Sailing Assn in Annapolis has one of the best junior oriented sailing summer schools for learning sail trim, and boat handling skills.

As has been noted the most important thing is to get a lot of time out on the water. You can do this OPB (other people''s boats) or by buying your own boat. If you buy your own boat, I would suggest that after you have had some experience sailing with others that you buy an older small (maybe 23 footer such as a Ranger 23) boat that has some accomodations for overnighting. This will allow you to grow as you are developing skills.

Where on the Chesapeake are you?
(I often take crew out with me and help teach them to sail.)

Good luck,
Jeff
(in Annapolis)
Old 04-02-2003

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road

Good grief Big Red!!!!! This is the first time I noticed you being nice.
What happened to you.
Where''s that new picture of you in your pirate outfit.
Old 04-02-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

The way I understand it, that was from one of the wenches. She must av'' "pirated" the computer whilst he was sleep''in! Heard tell that when he found out, well,,, let''s just say that keel haulin'', done right can prolong the need for a haulout! Pirates don''t have a soft side!

To the point, this little girly needs pay attention to details NOW! She can start by learning how to write! She types, sans punctuation and capitalizin'', like she''s spending way too much time on the computer and in the chat rooms, just like my 15 year old daughter! My recommendation is for you to put that crap away (well, sailnet''s okay I suppose) and get outside!

Pi
Old 04-03-2003

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road

Tabby, I read that book and it is was great.

However, you should experience sailing in all kinds of situations before you leave.

The two extremes, heavy weather and the hot sun and no wind.

But her book was inspirational. Haven''t found another as good.

You might want to check out an old movie "The Dove". It''s a true story about a guy that sailed around the world alone. It''s kind of corney but I do recommend it.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Old 08-01-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road

I think BigRed was sober!

Tabitha, have you started taking sailing classes, yet? Let us know how you''re doing. You might like the Power Squadron.

Remember to punctuate and capitalize when you write, otherwise it will make it more difficult when publishing your memoires.

Best to you,
Chas
Old 08-23-2003

Seagypsywoman is on a distinguished road

You mean "memoirs" don''t you flicker?
Old 08-25-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road

Oui.